Old 21-05-2008, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default First spawn

I went out to feed my fish yesterday and saw the goldies running
around chasing one another. I found out about who is male and who is
female. I suspect the eggs will be eaten, but I am glad they are
active.

Now for the koi.

Some eggs generally get swept into the berm ponds and grow. Survivor
types.

Jim

Old 22-05-2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:09:25 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I went out to feed my fish yesterday and saw the goldies running
around chasing one another. I found out about who is male and who is
female. I suspect the eggs will be eaten, but I am glad they are
active.

Most of the eggs are eaten, (Be grateful.) but If you have plants or a
bottom drain in the pond don't be too surprised where you might find
fry. They grow faster in the filter barrels and I found 60 one year
in the plant pond full of hyacinths, that had to pass through the pump
as eggs or fry to get there.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 22-05-2008, 05:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

just to prove that my mind wanders I was sitting by the pond the other day thinking
about ways to "sex" koi. some people have their female koi spayed so they dont lose
them to egg binding. anyway, after perusing (in my mind) thru ultrasound,
instillation of X ray dense material up the egg chute, and endoscopy I finally landed
on "eau de ripe female koi".... soaked in a sponge and see who gathers around it.
Ingrid

Old 22-05-2008, 05:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I went out to feed my fish yesterday and saw the goldies running
around chasing one another. I found out about who is male and who is
female. I suspect the eggs will be eaten, but I am glad they are
active.

Noted my wakins doing the happy dance a few days ago. I'm really hoping for
babies. Looks like I have 2 males and 2 females the way they were acting.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: