Old 12-08-2008, 10:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The fish are fired!

The fish around here rarely get fed - this is a nature pond.
Today I saw all these black specs on top of the floating camboda
plants. Ah-ha! says I frog eggs! I wanted to bring some up to
the deck pond and watch them hatch and swim around.
Netted out the specs and they didn't behave like frogs eggs.
Brought them upstairs, put them in some water, turned on
the lighted magnifying glass. APHIDS!
Dratted fish should be over there nosing them out and chowing
down! I expect the growth of camboda is too thick in that end of
the pond. Saturday I'll turn the hose on and wash them over to the
clear water and let the feasting begin.

k :-)

Old 13-08-2008, 06:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The fish are fired! =into humor?

"kathy" wrote in

sheesh!
Foolish me, when I first read your title / subject
(obviously with the comments high in my mind about
having too many fish per gallon --- )

I thought it said "The fish are fried!"

Hmmm, guess I'm greatly relieved.
But suppose I'd be open to hear a decent recipe!
(Hey, some of mine are getting as big as sardines!)

The fish around here rarely get fed - this is a nature pond.
Today I saw all these black specs on top of the floating camboda
plants. Ah-ha! says I frog eggs! I wanted to bring some up to
the deck pond and watch them hatch and swim around.
Netted out the specs and they didn't behave like frogs eggs.
Brought them upstairs, put them in some water, turned on
the lighted magnifying glass. APHIDS!
Dratted fish should be over there nosing them out and chowing
down! I expect the growth of camboda is too thick in that end of
the pond. Saturday I'll turn the hose on and wash them over to the
clear water and let the feasting begin.
k :-)

Yep!
Good workers who keep their snouts to the task,
do seem to be getting harder to keep!

"Eat! Clean up your assigned leaves!
Little fish in the North Atlantic are starving!
Back in my youth, we'd swim a mile to eat an aphid!
Through the ice!"

Old 13-08-2008, 09:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

LOL!
I had to consciously make sure my fingers
did not type 'fried'.

If they don't shape up I may have to flag down
a passing heron.

k :-)

Old 13-08-2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

a425couple wrote:

Yep!
Good workers who keep their snouts to the task,
do seem to be getting harder to keep!

"Eat! Â*Clean up your assigned leaves!
Little fish in the North Atlantic are starving!
Back in my youth, we'd swim a mile to eat an aphid!
Through the ice!"

"Uphill ... both ways"
--
derek

Old 13-08-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:49:50 EDT, kathy wrote:

If they don't shape up I may have to flag down
a passing heron. k :-)

That definitely won't solve your aphid problem. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-08-2008, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:54:16 EDT, Derek Broughton
wrote:

a425couple wrote:

Yep!
Good workers who keep their snouts to the task,
do seem to be getting harder to keep!

"Eat! Clean up your assigned leaves!
Little fish in the North Atlantic are starving!
Back in my youth, we'd swim a mile to eat an aphid!
Through the ice!"

"Uphill ... both ways"

Upstream.... both ways (keeping w/fish speak). ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 14-08-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Derek Broughton wrote:
a425couple wrote:

Yep!
Good workers who keep their snouts to the task,
do seem to be getting harder to keep!

"Eat! Clean up your assigned leaves!
Little fish in the North Atlantic are starving!
Back in my youth, we'd swim a mile to eat an aphid!
Through the ice!"

"Uphill ... both ways"

How do you make water go uphill... both ways?

Chip

Old 14-08-2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chip wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
a425couple wrote:

Yep!
Good workers who keep their snouts to the task,
do seem to be getting harder to keep!

"Eat! Clean up your assigned leaves!
Little fish in the North Atlantic are starving!
Back in my youth, we'd swim a mile to eat an aphid!
Through the ice!"

"Uphill ... both ways"

How do you make water go uphill... both ways?

Water goes downhill, the fish go uphill.
--
derek

Rate This Thread: