GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   whats going on with newsgroup (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/178189-whats-going-newsgroup.html)

Chris Barnes 01-09-2008 03:27 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

wrote:
this is the first message I can see. I dont remember changing anything in Agent. My
newsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com. Please help me by sending responses to

As others have said - this is a configuration issue with your ISP's news
*SERVER*. THEY are the ones that determine how long messages are kept
on their server. The mod of this newsgroup and configuration of your
newsreader have NOTHING to do with it.

You have 2 choices:
* complain to greatnowhere.com's admins
* change ISPs

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

San Diego Joe 01-09-2008 08:20 PM

wrote:

Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

until recently their retention rate has been great, and, they are FREE.
apparently roadrunner just stopped providing newsgroup access. they didnt
drop their
price, of course. Before that they didnt have this group which is why I
signed up
with greatnowhere. but now it looks like I will have to download every day or
just
miss posts, or, I have to get a better free provider or pay.

anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

I've used teranews in the past.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

chip 01-09-2008 08:20 PM

~ jan wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:00:14 EDT, wrote:

Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

until recently their retention rate has been great, and, they are FREE.
apparently roadrunner just stopped providing newsgroup access. they didnt drop their
price, of course.
anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

At one time I did use teranews.com, they had a $3.95 sign up fee, but free
after that. ~ jan

Using Mozilla Thunderbird (free) for both e-mail and news reader and
nntp.aioe.org (free) as news server. All work great.

I paid the $3.95 to free.teranews.org and it worked for a while. Then
it glitched and I haven't been able to get back to it. But the above
has been working for the last year with no problems. Aioe has a limit
on storage, but it's never been a bother to me.

As you check each news server for rec.ponds.mod, don't forget to
"Refresh" the listing 1st. That's how I missed it on nntp.aioe.org the
1st time.

Chip

Reel Mckoi 02-09-2008 05:46 PM

"~ jan" wrote in message

At one time I did use teranews.com, they had a $3.95 sign up fee, but f

ree
after that. ~ jan

================Jan, see my post above. They're one of the worst. Motzerella, Albasani an
Greatnowhere are definitely the best and no sign up fee. Sometimes their
servers have glitches or crash but that can even happen to an ISP's serve
r.