GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   whats going on with newsgroup (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/178189-whats-going-newsgroup.html)

[email protected] 28-08-2008 07:17 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

Galen Hekhuis 28-08-2008 07:34 PM

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:17:46 EDT, wrote:

everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

The length of time of retention of various articles depends on your
newsfeed, not the newsgroup.

DKat 29-08-2008 02:01 AM

wrote:
everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...opics?lnk=iggc
try this if your server has wiped you out (assuming you didn't
accidentally set your options to hide read messages). Donna

Pete C[_2_] 29-08-2008 02:01 AM

Galen Hekhuis wrote:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:17:46 EDT, wrote:

everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

The length of time of retention of various articles depends on your
newsfeed, not the newsgroup.

Check the settings in your newsreader on delete after....
--
Pete C
London UK

a425couple 29-08-2008 07:15 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

"Pete C" wrote ...
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
wrote:
everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

The length of time of retention of various articles depends on your
newsfeed, not the newsgroup.

Check the settings in your newsreader on delete after....

I can still see the old in this group just fine.

So, I'd tend to accept what Pete, Galen and dkat
are pointing towards.

Nick Cramer 30-08-2008 03:47 AM

whats going on with newsgroup

"a425couple" wrote:
"Pete C" wrote ...
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
wrote:
everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

The length of time of retention of various articles depends on your
newsfeed, not the newsgroup.

Check the settings in your newsreader on delete after....

I can still see the old in this group just fine.

So, I'd tend to accept what Pete, Galen and dkat
are pointing towards.

I can see posts going back to 7/27/07.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

[email protected] 30-08-2008 05:39 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

this is the first message I can see. I dont remember changing anything in Agent. My
newsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com. Please help me by sending responses to

Ingrid

~ jan[_3_] 30-08-2008 11:01 PM

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:39:27 EDT, wrote:

this is the first message I can see. I dont remember changing anything in Agent. My
newsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com. Please help me by sending responses to

Ingrid

Using Agent also and I seem to be having no troubles, though we were a
little slow this last week message-wise. In fact, currently this is the
most active Subject. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Pete C[_2_] 30-08-2008 11:02 PM

wrote:
this is the first message I can see. I dont remember changing
anything in Agent. My newsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com. Please
help me by sending responses to

Ingrid

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:15:02 EDT, "a425couple"
wrote:

"Pete C" wrote ...
Galen Hekhuis wrote:
wrote:
everything has been removed except 1 message. Ingrid

The length of time of retention of various articles depends on your
newsfeed, not the newsgroup.
Check the settings in your newsreader on delete after....

I can still see the old in this group just fine.

So, I'd tend to accept what Pete, Galen and dkat
are pointing towards.

You'r using Forte Agent aren't you. Check the settings in there for how long
to keep posts.
ie, it'll say something like 'delete after....x.....days.'
--
Pete C
London UK

[email protected] 01-09-2008 03:00 AM

whats going on with newsgroup

Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

until recently their retention rate has been great, and, they are FREE.
apparently roadrunner just stopped providing newsgroup access. they didnt drop their
price, of course. Before that they didnt have this group which is why I signed up
with greatnowhere. but now it looks like I will have to download every day or just
miss posts, or, I have to get a better free provider or pay.

anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

~ jan[_3_] 01-09-2008 03:24 PM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:00:14 EDT, wrote:

Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

until recently their retention rate has been great, and, they are FREE.
apparently roadrunner just stopped providing newsgroup access. they didnt drop their
price, of course. Before that they didnt have this group which is why I signed up
with greatnowhere. but now it looks like I will have to download every day or just
miss posts, or, I have to get a better free provider or pay.

anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

At one time I did use teranews.com, they had a $3.95 sign up fee, but free
after that. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Tony Raven[_2_] 01-09-2008 03:24 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

In article , dr-
says...
Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

until recently their retention rate has been great, and, they are FREE.
apparently roadrunner just stopped providing newsgroup access. they didnt drop their
price, of course. Before that they didnt have this group which is why I signed up
with greatnowhere. but now it looks like I will have to download every day or just
miss posts, or, I have to get a better free provider or pay.

anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

Not free but $7 a year and excellent retention is news.individual.net.
It tends to be the one everyone uses that needs independent usenet
access.
http://news.individual.net/

--
Tony

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has
taken place"
George Bernard Shaw

Tony Raven[_2_] 01-09-2008 03:24 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

Not free but $7 a year and excellent retention is news.individual.net.
It tends to be the one everyone uses that needs independent usenet
access.
http://news.individual.net/

Just checked and they give their retention times at
http://news.individual.net/hierarchies.php and for the rec.* hierarchy
which includes this group its 79 days but is not less than 65 days for
any group.

--
Tony

"It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my
reasons for them"
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Jim Elbrecht 01-09-2008 03:25 PM

whats going on with newsgroup

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:00:14 EDT, wrote:

Mynewsfeed is reader.greatnowhere.com.

-snip-

anybody got a better free provider with better retention? Ingrid

Not free- but $15 a year won't break many budgets. Good
retention, full feeds, [no binary groups], some sort of spam
management & crossposts are limited to 3 or 4 groups which eliminates
a lot of the loons on Usenet.

Been using them for 4-5 years and am quite happy with them.
http://individual.net/overview.php

I just checked r.p.m. & the earliest post on their server is May 30,
2008.

Jim

D Kat[_2_] 01-09-2008 03:26 PM

whats going on with newsgroup