Old 17-11-2008, 03:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Any data on Frost and hyacinths

Our first frosts here in MS caught me busy with other things. Some of
my hyacinths got their leaves nipped. Phyllis and I put the plastic
over one of the berm ponds to offer the hyacinths protection for the
winter.

Typically, we found that many of the growth buds make it if they don't
freeze hard. Water at 32 does not seem to kill them all. By having
our water circulating and the plants covered, they are in a 32 degree
'green house' as compared to the sometimes 20's outside temp.

This year we are leaving one berm pond open to see how the hyacinths
do in the open. They do seem to survive the winters in the wild here
in MS...at least enough to come back the next year. I know their
swamps in Brazil don't freeze int he winter

Has anyone got scientific data on hyacinth survival?

Jim

Rate This Thread: