Old 19-11-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Another Filter freeze?

I've been off of the Newsgroups for a while.. Comcast stop supporting
them for some reason so if this was already addressed.. I apologize
for the redundancy:

My Filter is still running, my pond is all closed., My concern:
The PVC from the Filter back to the pond, do I need to worry about the
water freezing inside? Do I need to insulate the PVC. I have the
water flowing at full speed, (No idea what the flow rate is).
Any suggestions are welcomed

Old 20-11-2008, 01:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
I've been off of the Newsgroups for a while.. Comcast stop supporting
them for some reason so if this was already addressed.. I apologize
for the redundancy:

My Filter is still running, my pond is all closed., My concern:
The PVC from the Filter back to the pond, do I need to worry about the
water freezing inside? Do I need to insulate the PVC. I have the
water flowing at full speed, (No idea what the flow rate is).
Any suggestions are welcomed
=============================

If the water keeps moving it shouldn't freeze. I shut my pumps off for th
winter and allow the warmer water to settle to the bottom as it does in
nature. Get a free news server as many other people are doing. I use a fr
ee
one. Some you don't even have to sign up for. Just add them to your news

reader. Aioe comes to mind.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 20-11-2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I thought of shutting off the filter, but then what about the Bio
Load? Without water running through the filter, you'll loose the
helpful bacteria

Old 23-11-2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
I thought of shutting off the filter, but then what about the Bio
Load? Without water running through the filter, you'll loose the
helpful bacteria

============================
Those bacteria become inactive when it's cold enough for the fish to drop
the bottom for the winter. Pull the filter and rinse it good with pond
water. Plenty will be in a resting state ready to "wake up" in the spring
..
:-) I know.... that's how I've been doing it since 1995. Never had an
ammonia surge in spring.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-11-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:02:33 EST, Peter Pan wrote:

I thought of shutting off the filter, but then what about the Bio
Load? Without water running through the filter, you'll loose the
helpful bacteria

You will lose your bacteria if you shut off the filter. Under 40F bacteria
creates a bio-film to survive cold temps, but still needs O2. Come spring,
much quicker start up time and less WQ problems. (YMMV depending on fish
load and filter size.)

Freeze-wise, as long as water is flowing, no problem. The problem is when
power goes out during below freezing weather, if the pipes don't self
drain.

Most ponds under 4-5 feet rarely stratify, and, ime, it is better in small
ponds to continue circulating slowly so fish aren't laying in their own
pollution. I know I've had healthier fish since I've left the bottom drain
connected. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: