Old 20-04-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default second year with my pond

This will be the second year with my roughly 3200 gal pond. I dropped
the water level a few inches in the fall, with the snow and rain fall
the levels rose, so in the past few weeks i did it again (trying for a
partial water change)

What is my next step, I never had a pond this large, I use to have the
smaller plastic ridgid types so this is a much bigger project for me.

The other thing I noticed was there is green hair algea in the pond
(another first for me) I left the UV running all winter but it would
appear the bulb losts its ability to work properly. I'm thinking to
replace the bulb and possible add another UV.
Your thoughts and comments are welcomed

thanks

Old 21-04-2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What kind of filter are you using? Chances are you need to disassemble it
and give it a good cleaning. Removing the "gunk" - leaves and stuff - from
the pond is also a good place to start. Don't know if I would have left the
u/v on all winter. I thought those were best to combat the spring algae
bloom but what do I know, I don't have one. ;-)

Got any/many plants? How did they do over the winter. Now's a good time to
divide them if they've gotten too large for their containers.

Old 21-04-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:24:19 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

The other thing I noticed was there is green hair algea in the pond
(another first for me) I left the UV running all winter but it would
appear the bulb losts its ability to work properly. I'm thinking to
replace the bulb and possible add another UV.
Your thoughts and comments are welcomed

UV doesn't do anything to stop the hair algae (blanket weed). It can
only stop waterborn algae that turns your water green since it has to
go by the UV bulb. The blanket weed is common at the start of the
season since it seems to start growing before the rest of the plans get
going to compete for nutrients.

As JB says it could be that your filter needs cleaning.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Old 21-04-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Peter Pan wrote:

This will be the second year with my roughly 3200 gal pond. I dropped
the water level a few inches in the fall, with the snow and rain fall
the levels rose, so in the past few weeks i did it again (trying for a
partial water change)

What is my next step, I never had a pond this large, I use to have the
smaller plastic ridgid types so this is a much bigger project for me.

The other thing I noticed was there is green hair algea in the pond
(another first for me) I left the UV running all winter but it would
appear the bulb losts its ability to work properly. I'm thinking to
replace the bulb and possible add another UV.
Your thoughts and comments are welcomed

thanks

A UV Clarifier only gets the algae that that run through it. There will
always be some residual string algae that will form and stick around,
just not nearly as much as what you'd have without it, especially if
your pond gets a lot of direct sun.

Old 22-04-2009, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
ohitsystems.ltd.uk,
"Rodney Pont" wrote:

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:24:19 EDT, Peter Pan wrote:

The other thing I noticed was there is green hair algea in the pond
(another first for me) I left the UV running all winter but it would
appear the bulb losts its ability to work properly. I'm thinking to
replace the bulb and possible add another UV.
Your thoughts and comments are welcomed

UV doesn't do anything to stop the hair algae (blanket weed). It can
only stop waterborn algae that turns your water green since it has to
go by the UV bulb. The blanket weed is common at the start of the
season since it seems to start growing before the rest of the plans get
going to compete for nutrients.

As JB says it could be that your filter needs cleaning.

The best remedy is to balance the pond so that the algae don't get the
nutrients. More plants will certainly help. I always get a large bloom
in Spring.

Old 25-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

It is most important to remove nutrients from the pond. There are a few ways to do
this:
clean the filter removes bacteria and anything caught in the course filter
use plants to suck up nutrients and turn it into veggie growth (veggie filters)
UV damages the algae so it is filtered out (easily with polyester batting) or fine
foam filters
water changes (iffy)

I use only plants in a veggie filter. the UV damaged algae gets caught on the roots
and removed

clean the UV bulb or glass surrounding it so there is good UV transmission. UV bulbs
should last quite a while. water changes work if your water is VERY low in
nutrients. I have lake water that only has a bit of bicarb in it, no nitrates for
example.

if/when you get fish get the highest protein or feed freeze dried krill or fish. koi
cannot digest carbs so carbohydrates are in and out of koi and just foul the water.
most people overfeed their fish. corn leads to fatty fish and fatty liver disease.
koi need proteins for building muscle and fat for energy. the kind of fat is water
based and so will go rancid quickly, the good food needs to be kept in a freezer to
prevent this.

INgrid

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:56:50 EDT, "JB" wrote:
What kind of filter are you using? Chances are you need to disassemble it
and give it a good cleaning. Removing the "gunk" - leaves and stuff - from
the pond is also a good place to start. Don't know if I would have left the
u/v on all winter. I thought those were best to combat the spring algae
bloom but what do I know, I don't have one. ;-)

Got any/many plants? How did they do over the winter. Now's a good time to
divide them if they've gotten too large for their containers.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

In my garden July 25 Sea Thrift second wave this year.JPG (1/1) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 29-07-2009 05:05 PM
First dig - second year! Chickweed United Kingdom 0 25-03-2008 10:26 PM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:37 AM
second year perenials dc Texas 1 05-03-2004 04:29 AM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 09:44 AM