Old 10-03-2003, 07:34 PM
joe

Default What kind of fish are these?

I have shibunkins and koi in my pond. Around December we started noticing
baby fish (Why didn't someone tell me these things breed like guppies?) Most
of the babies are colorful and obviously shibunkins. There are many though,
that are this bland light brown color. Are these just ugly goldfish?

Thanks
Joe

Old 10-03-2003, 07:57 PM
K30a

Joe wrote noticing
baby fish (Why didn't someone tell me these things breed like guppies?)

Oh, dear, here is a faq to help ;-)

A FAQ on goldfish....

BREEDING
Goldfish start breeding as soon as the pond owner turns his/her back. Doesn't
matter if they are both male or both female - goldfish spontaneouly change
sexes to meet the breeding demands...

By morning the pond will be filled with bazillions of goldfish eggs. In a
couple of days, maybe a week, the pond owner will see tiny, tiny fish swimming
in some remote corner and be thrilled to see babies. The new pond owner will be
anxious about what to feed the babies, should they be brought in for safety,
should a new pond be dug?

Not to worry, nothing will stop the babies from growing.
And breeding.
Over and over and over.

Their sole purpose in life is to start breeding as soon as they are sexually
mature - which is about five minutes after they hatch.

Their plan.... simple - take over the pond, take over the yard with more ponds
to hold them, take over the ponder's house with aquariums, take over the
neighborhood as gifts to other new Porg.... from there only their leaders know
for sure..... I'm thinking here in the NW they are going to end the fish versus
dams problem once and for all when they take over the Columbia River, swim to
the sea, turn right, head into Puget Sound, get into the locks and swim right
up to Bill Gate's dock. Then it is only a matter of time until they control the
internet...

k30a
Old 10-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Charles

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:32:49 -0800, joe wrote:

I have shibunkins and koi in my pond. Around December we started noticing
baby fish (Why didn't someone tell me these things breed like guppies?) Most
of the babies are colorful and obviously shibunkins. There are many though,
that are this bland light brown color. Are these just ugly goldfish?

Thanks
Joe

Yep, ugly ones. I read that you can expect about 50% shubunkins from
breeding shubunkins, the rest will be golden fish, or maybe never turn
gold and stay bronze. One local fish shop takes them as feeders.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 10-03-2003, 11:46 PM
K30a

Jammer asked of goldfish reproductive maturity
which is about five minutes after they hatch.

Really?

Robyn's page says the goldfish have to be about 3 to 5 inches long
and in the pond that takes about a year.

(It's still all a big plot though..... ;-)

k30a