Old 01-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Paul

Default Pump requirements

My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?

Paul
Old 01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
George

"Paul" wrote in message
My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?

Paul

Your pond should be able to pump, at a minimum, the entire volume of your
pond in one hour through your filtration system. 2 or 3 times is even
better.

Old 01-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Roy

A pump that is capable of fully pumping the quanity of water your
pond has in an hour through the filter would be considered a bare
minimum...not really a good choice, as more times than not, it will
bit you.........BIGGER is better, the more flow the better, it can
always be cutback, but it can;t be increased over what the pump can do
without buying yet another pump...So if you error when buying a pump
error on the larger side than smaller or minimal side........

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:59:26 +0100, Paul wrote:

===My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
===quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
===pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?
===
===Paul

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 01-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Derek Broughton

George wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?

Your pond should be able to pump, at a minimum, the entire volume of your
pond in one hour through your filtration system. 2 or 3 times is even
better.

At that size, one turnover every 2-3 hours is fine. It _all_ depends on
stocking rates.
--
derek
Old 04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:59:26 +0100, Paul wrote:

My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?

Paul

Depends on if this is for koi or water garden with a few goldfish. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 04-08-2005, 08:15 AM
Paul

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:59:26 +0100, Paul wrote:

My pond will be approx 3750L do I need a pump that will pump that
quantity an hour or one that pumps less. I seem to remember reading that
pond water should be circulated every 2-3 hours is this right?

Paul

Depends on if this is for koi or water garden with a few goldfish. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Just for Goldfish about 6 6" and a dozen 2" and plenty of plants. I was
thinking maybe a veggie filter, what flow rate do they need.

Paul
Old 04-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re pump size, not only does the pump 'size', flowrate, depend on the size of the pond and the fish load etc, it also depends on how 'high' you want to lift the water and through what plumbing the water is pushed. Plus if you want visual effects eg a stream and/or a water fall the requirements of that may warrent a bigger pump than the filration minimum.
My pond is about 1350UK gal, my stream takes about 1633UK gph from an aquamax 10,000.
When choosing a pump you really need to define the actual lift and estimate the friction-losses/pipe-loss in the plumbing etc, then add these two to get the total "head" that the pump will have to overcome. Then look at flow charts for various pumps and see which will meet your needs.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Depends on if this is for koi or water garden with a few goldfish. ~ jan

Just for Goldfish about 6 6" and a dozen 2" and plenty of plants. I was
thinking maybe a veggie filter, what flow rate do they need.
Paul

You could start out with 2-3 times/hour, but buy a large enough pump and
put in plumbing that can handle 1 time/hour. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~