Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 AM
wayne

Default Pond seepage problem

I built a pond (fountain) that has a concrete base with concrete blocks
around the edge to create the pond. Despite that I treated the block
with some water sealer I get seepage to the exterior of the blocks. Is
there any type of water treatment that I can add to the water that will
stop the leagage. The inside of the fountain is tiled so the treatment
must enter via that grouted area.

Thanks,
Wayne Gregori

Old 04-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Cheryl and Rob

What kind of blocks are they?? Hollywood blocks?? Solid blocks??

I am almost sure they make some sort of grout sealer; but I am skeptical as
well due to the fact that some of the tiles are constantly submerged and any
chemicals or what have you would break the barrier down sooner of later.
Another option would be to take all the tile back off and just use some
Drylok on it and then put a scratch coat of mud down and re set the tiles. I
know it sounds like a PITA and it is. Sorry I can't be of more help; I wish
I could. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you more ideas.
ups.com...

Old 05-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Re sealing a concrete block walled fountain.
If your blocks are like those in the UK they are porous, your attempt at sealing them may have made an subsequent attempt at grouting, plastering or rendering them unlikely to succeed as there may not be much for the 'plaster' to get a grip on.
If that is the case then lining the fountain with a normal liner may be the bet solution, or simply rebuild the wall and 'plaster' the walls before repainting.
Old 14-08-2005, 05:28 AM
wayne

Hey Rob (or Cheryl),

Thanks for the note... I did remove the tile and now I need to "really"
seal the cement block. You mentioned Drylok?... I'm thinking of using
some kind of paint product that when applied will create a rubber
barrier on top of which I can replace (sigh) the tiles. Will drylok
create the rubber barrier that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Wayne

Cheryl and Rob wrote:
What kind of blocks are they?? Hollywood blocks?? Solid blocks??

I am almost sure they make some sort of grout sealer; but I am skeptical as
well due to the fact that some of the tiles are constantly submerged and any
chemicals or what have you would break the barrier down sooner of later.
Another option would be to take all the tile back off and just use some
Drylok on it and then put a scratch coat of mud down and re set the tiles. I
know it sounds like a PITA and it is. Sorry I can't be of more help; I wish
I could. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you more ideas.
ups.com...

Old 14-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered User

Location: UK

I presume you have no liner to it? in that case either add a liner or fibre glass it.

Thanks,

Daniel
__________________
Obsessive ponder,

Happy Ponding fellow ponders

Old 14-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Roy

If you want ot put a membrane coating on it that is able to be applied
by anyone who can use a brush or roller, check out Sani-Tred. They
make a rubber coating designed specifically for concrete etc and fish
ponds. I know a few who have constructed gunite or concrete block
ponds and merely applied a coat or two of this Sani-Tred to the
surface and its water tight..........They also make a special
thickened rubber paste for filling in cracks and joints etc over /4"
wide that is applied first, then you follow up with the finish coat
applied by roller........

http://www.sanitred.com/

On 13 Aug 2005 21:28:54 -0700, "wayne" wrote:

===Hey Rob (or Cheryl),
===
===Cheryl and Rob wrote:
=== What kind of blocks are they?? Hollywood blocks?? Solid blocks??
===
=== I am almost sure they make some sort of grout sealer; but I am skeptical as
=== well due to the fact that some of the tiles are constantly submerged and any
=== chemicals or what have you would break the barrier down sooner of later.
=== Another option would be to take all the tile back off and just use some
=== Drylok on it and then put a scratch coat of mud down and re set the tiles. I
=== know it sounds like a PITA and it is. Sorry I can't be of more help; I wish
=== I could. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you more ideas.
=== "wayne" wrote in message
=== ups.com...
=== I built a pond (fountain) that has a concrete base with concrete blocks
=== around the edge to create the pond. Despite that I treated the block
=== with some water sealer I get seepage to the exterior of the blocks. Is
=== there any type of water treatment that I can add to the water that will
=== stop the leagage. The inside of the fountain is tiled so the treatment
=== must enter via that grouted area.
===
=== Thanks,
=== Wayne Gregori
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 21-08-2005, 09:58 PM
wayne

Thanks for the info fellow pond enthusiasts! I'm going to remove the
rock and fiberglass the sucker.

Thanks again,
Wayne