Old 06-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Gareee©

Default Bearded Iris.. Pondable?

Just picked up some bearded iris bulbs from Wal-Mart, and was wondering if
they are pondable?

--
Gareee's Homepage:
http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine.../mainframe.htm

Remove Delicious spam to reply

Old 06-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just picked up some bearded iris bulbs from Wal-Mart, and was wondering if
they are pondable?

=========================
They need well drained soil or the tuber rots. They're not likely to
survive in a pond.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 06-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Ours worked.

Old 06-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Roy

Bearded varieties normally do not do well in a pond, at least not when
planted like the other Iris's. They do not like having continualy wet
feet and will more than likely rot in due time. You may get by
planting them as a higher up marginal where they can just have damp
soil and not wet soil.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 12:51:53 -0400, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Just picked up some bearded iris bulbs from Wal-Mart, and was wondering if
they are pondable?

You could try it, but if I remember right, someone once posted in here, it
didn't work. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Ours worked.

Gareee© wrote:
Just picked up some bearded iris bulbs from Wal-Mart, and was wondering
if
they are pondable?

===========================
You probably have one of the swamp iris's. They come in different colors
and are very pretty.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Ours came from Home Depot as Bearded. We put them in shallow water at
first...in a tray on top of one of our barrels. Now one group is in the
pond at the base of the falls. No rot . Good multiplication.

I don't know what their variety is, but they have purple/blue flowers.

Jim

Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Ours came from Home Depot as Bearded. We put them in shallow water at
first...in a tray on top of one of our barrels. Now one group is in the
pond at the base of the falls. No rot . Good multiplication.

People move the name tags and some plants are misnamed at the nurseries
before shipping. It is highly unlikely what you have is a true bearded
iris. But then you may have some kind of hybrid or mutation. I have swamp
iris in yellow, blue, purple and a deep maroon with yellow - almost red.
They're beautiful plants when in bloom. I hope I can find them this fall as
we had to remove all the plants from both ponds to clean and do some
repairs. I have hundreds of extra pond plants behind the house. I actually
misplace my favorites.... :-(