Old 19-08-2005, 03:14 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Koi Size Question

I have a 5 year old koi and a 3 year old koi. Both have stopped growing
due to the small size of the pond.

If I move them to a larger pond, will they start growing again? Or did
I stop there potential with the small pond.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 19-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Bonnie NJ

I have one koi that my daughter purchased for me. It was held in an
aquarium until she could bring it home - this koi was stunted. It has
started to grow again but it's much smaller than others it's same age.
One point to make- it's doubtful if she fed it the proper food. It's a
healthy fish now, but it never caught up with
the others.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 20-08-2005, 07:47 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I have a 5 year old koi and a 3 year old koi. Both have stopped growing
due to the small size of the pond.

If I move them to a larger pond, will they start growing again? Or did
I stop there potential with the small pond.
Carl

I think it might depend on the koi and the conditions Bonnie mentioned. I
had one in pond that never grew beyond 10". I know it wasn't because of my
pond as the mate I purchased with it, same size, grew to 24". So something
happen prior to my purchase or it had a weakness, or got the short genes in
the family. ;-)

That said, I sold two 8 yo BF koi that were about 14" at the time, to folks
with a much BIGGER pond in the spring of last year, and was surprised when
I saw them in the fall they had grown 4" at the very least. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~