Old 19-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Bill Stock

Default Permangenate treatments

I've given my indoor GF a couple of PP treatments two days apart to cure a
parasite/fungus problem. I dosed them at 3 PPM to start (Friday) and kept
the water pinkish with an extra 1 PPM every two hours. The day after
(Saturday) the first treatment the fish with the white bump had shed his
fungus patch and all the fish were much more active and hungry. One day
later (Sunday) I gave them a second dose following the same regimen. They
were all fine the next day, but by the evening the white patch had returned
to the affected fish.

I can't believe the fungus returned after the excellent results from the
first treatment. Is it possible that this is some sort of skin growth and
not the fungus returning? I had read that the PP may need several treatments
either two days apart or four days apart depending on the life cycle of the
parasite. I plan to does them again tomorrow unless suggested otherwise.

Any thoughts or alternative treatments? Nitrates seem very good at the
moment BTW, the PP seems to have done a number of the DOCs. I've also done
50% water changes between PP treatments.

TIA

Old 19-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Roy

Both the University of Florida and Auburn University // Alabama told
me that PP treatments to be most effective should be given back to
back without a day or two inbetween.....Do a demand test to see
exactly what the demand of PP is on your pond, and hold the water a
pink or purple color for at least 6 hours or so......to be most
effective. Adding additional PP in between is iffy.

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:39:42 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

===I've given my indoor GF a couple of PP treatments two days apart to cure a
===parasite/fungus problem. I dosed them at 3 PPM to start (Friday) and kept
===the water pinkish with an extra 1 PPM every two hours. The day after
===(Saturday) the first treatment the fish with the white bump had shed his
===fungus patch and all the fish were much more active and hungry. One day
===later (Sunday) I gave them a second dose following the same regimen. They
===were all fine the next day, but by the evening the white patch had returned
===to the affected fish.
===
===I can't believe the fungus returned after the excellent results from the
===first treatment. Is it possible that this is some sort of skin growth and
===not the fungus returning? I had read that the PP may need several treatments
===either two days apart or four days apart depending on the life cycle of the
===parasite. I plan to does them again tomorrow unless suggested otherwise.
===
===Any thoughts or alternative treatments? Nitrates seem very good at the
===moment BTW, the PP seems to have done a number of the DOCs. I've also done
===50% water changes between PP treatments.
===
===TIA
===
===

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 19-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Elaine T

Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

If it's true fungus (saprolenga), you can net the fish and dab the
fungus patch with malachite green. When you release the fish, the patch
of fungus will be greenish and fall off by the next day. Dab again if
the fungus returns. It may take a couple of treatments a few days
apart, but malachite green has always worked for me.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 20-08-2005, 03:50 AM
Bill Stock

"Elaine T" wrote in message
.. .
Bill Stock wrote:
[...]

Thanks Elaine, I think the Fungus is only a symptom and not the root cause.
Although the other fish don't have any fungus evident, the second largest
fish did have some blood around some of it's scales. The plan was to treat
the tank to kill the cause and then treat Panfry (Fungus Face) with Hydorgen
Peroxide and Neosporin (or similar) to heal up his wound. I haven't done
anything else yet, but I will likely give back to back PP treatments over
the weekend and followup with whatever Panfry needs to get healthy.
--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Chafers, what treatments for 1.5 acres?? Chris United Kingdom 1 29-09-2006 03:50 PM
Cold Treatments David Adolph Orchids 5 14-11-2004 09:01 PM
Cold Treatments David Adolph Orchids 0 14-11-2004 06:22 PM
Fungicides and other treatments Mr Blue Skye United Kingdom 0 11-07-2004 10:03 PM
Fusarium treatments Otto Jones Edible Gardening 0 15-02-2004 01:02 PM