Old 20-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Paul in Redland

Default Bricks vs pots

A while back I seem to remember someone using bricks as a weight to hold
lillys down instead of planting them more conventionally in pots. Seems like
they simply tied the tuber to a brick and let it sink to the bottom, no
planting medium at all. If anyone recalls the details of this or has tried
it themselves, I'm curious as to how it worked out.

TIA

Paul

Old 21-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our lillies live in stone-filled round laundry baskets. They soon fill
the top with tubers.

We tried some more shallow oil-drain pans. Didn't work as well. Mostly
for koi shuffling the rocks.

We got some new lillies from a friend and put them in the oil-pans to
get going. The koi shuffled the rocks and the lillies fell to the
bottom of our cement pond, among the milk crates that support the oil
pans. Result: the healthiest lilly of all. Loads of leaves and
flowers. Bare root.

We then tried a bare root in the edpm lined base of the waterfall pond.
It too is thriving. Bare root can work well.

I suspect it has to do with not being disturbed so that the roots can be
established. Your brick idea might work well if a long tuber can be
anchored that way and if the old tuber does not rot away. The tubers
get really long over time.

Let us know what you finally try and how it works.

Jim