Old 14-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Terry

Default Frogs

I have a small pre-formed pond, which obviously means a plastic bottom.
This summer, four small frogs appeared out of nowhere and decided to
stay all season. Is there any way to encourage them to hibernate here as
well? I know the choice is their 's but is there anything I can do to
the pond to make it cosier for the winter?

Terry
Old 14-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Terry" wrote in message
I have a small pre-formed pond, which obviously means a plastic bottom.
This summer, four small frogs appeared out of nowhere and decided to
stay all season. Is there any way to encourage them to hibernate here as
well? I know the choice is their 's but is there anything I can do to
the pond to make it cosier for the winter?

Terry

=====================
Give them peace and quiet and they'll probably stay around.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Gail Futoran

"Terry" wrote in message
I have a small pre-formed pond, which obviously means a plastic bottom.
This summer, four small frogs appeared out of nowhere and decided to
stay all season. Is there any way to encourage them to hibernate here as
well? I know the choice is their 's but is there anything I can do to
the pond to make it cosier for the winter?

Terry

I think frogs deal well with cold, better than
fish, at any rate. You might consider keeping
an airhole open in the ice, assuming you are
where your pond ices over. You might also
provide cover (plants, like ornamental grasses)
near the pond so they can move in and out with
some chance of avoiding predators.

I've had frogs and toads in and out of my
in-ground ponds (smallest a preformed
structure like yours, largest with a liner
and about 300 gallons) over the years and
they seem to keep to their own schedule.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 14-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Terry

I think frogs deal well with cold, better than
fish, at any rate. You might consider keeping
an airhole open in the ice, assuming you are
where your pond ices over. You might also
provide cover (plants, like ornamental grasses)
near the pond so they can move in and out with
some chance of avoiding predators.

It will freeze over during the winter but I could put a small heater in
it to keep it open and there is plenty of plant life on both sides of
the pond. Is it possible that they could winter there?
Old 15-09-2005, 12:29 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

It will freeze over during the winter but I could put a small heater in
it to keep it open and there is plenty of plant life on both sides of
the pond. Is it possible that they could winter there?

If they hibernate in the pond you'll want to keep a hole open, either bird
bath heater or small pump on shelf moving the water. Air pumps/stones are
also another options if in Zone 7 and up, lower zones should still have a
heater as back up.

Some frogs (treefrogs) prefer to sleep in leaf litter, so don't clean the
flower beds around the pond till late spring. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 2 01-09-2004 07:06 PM
frogs frogs everywhere Gail Futoran Ponds 0 31-08-2004 10:24 PM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM