Old 19-03-2003, 12:44 AM
RichToyBox

Default Spring Cleaning Good or Bad?

MC,

The natural ponds have some flow through of fresh water that our ponds don't
have. The natural ponds that don't have flow through have serious problems
with water quality.
--
RichToyBox

"MC" wrote in message
om...
I will wait until water is 55 and then drain and clean. In Chicago
though, that could be May. Do deteriating leaves have an affect on
the pond? They fall into natural ponds all the time without any harm.

jammer wrote in message

. ..
Hey, i am reading this thread, and regarding removing the fish and
cleaning the pond, feeding them 10 days first, etc, does this apply to
goldfish as well? I never added declor when i first put them in the
pond and they are still fine.

I want to clean the pond before there are any kind of eggs, (I should
probably re-think that) and want to know if i can do it now. Should my
GF be ok and do i really need declor. This is a 4X2X2 pondlet. Thanks.
I'll be back another time to talk about my plants and landscaping.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 19-03-2003, 12:44 AM
K30a

Michael wrote Do deteriorating leaves have an affect on
the pond? They fall into natural ponds all the time without any harm.

Natural ponds have a higher water to fish ratio.
Also a pond's natural path of life is to eventually fill up and become a boggy
meadow.

k30a
Old 19-03-2003, 01:32 AM

it is the stress. Altho... it does make sense if going to stress them somewhat best
to do it when the cooties are still hibernating. really.. if it works, do it. just
dont fall in .. LOL. Ingrid

~ jan wrote:
What do you think of this latest idea tossed around our koi club, to clean
the pond before the bacteria and bugs are active, therefore immune system
not quite as worrisome? So water temps below 47F and fish haven't been fed
so blowing off less ammonia, plus outside temps are low so holding tanks
don't get overly warm. What do you think?

At the D.pond we don't have the luxury of holding the fish long, or doing
the clean out when water temps warm to 50 and up, as it is part of a public
park. So the last 2 years we've completely drained the pond, put the fish
we're going to keep into a 20 gallon tote bucket set on the pond floor,
drain it completely, vac it out, fill, add dechlor. and leave the bucket to
float in the pond till the next day. At which time we turn them loose and
haven't suffered any fish losses.

This fall we screened the D.pond and I hope this coming Saturday to fill
the filter and turn the pump on without all that mucking out of the past.
~ jan

Old 19-03-2003, 01:32 AM

two ways to do this safely. if the whole pond is going to be drained drain it all
the way down until the fish are nearly flopping on the bottom. they arent stressed
until the last minute when they are netted. then into clean water with aeration.
second method is a sewage pump on the bottom in a milk crate and slowly move it
around sucking out the crap without stirring things up. if things get stirred up,
then add stock solution of PP to twice the normal dosage to inactivate toxic gases.
yes, 10 days of antibiotic food, only when the temp is over 55oF. OR, try Jan's
approach. Ingrid

(MISSYMAGICGIRL) wrote:
Taking all the fish out will be very hard. Won't they be hard to catch??

On the antibiotic food for 10 days also? Just making sure.

Sacha

Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 AM

good idea with GF too. add dechlor if using city water. after cleaning there may
not be enough organics to inactivate the chlorine/chloramines.
you are going t oneed to do water changes if you got spawning or toad or frog eggs in
there. Ingrid

Old 19-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Nedra

Ingrid, Would you please post the recipe for stock solution
of PP? Please and Thanks.

Nedra