Old 16-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

Default Disaster struck a fellow PORG

Hi all,
One of my ponding buddy met with great pond disaster.

He has 11 show quality Koi ranging in size from 24" to 28", and about 6 more
Koi of about 8". All in one small tank (4'x8'x3') Too small, but he made
up for the size in the GPM of his pump, and the quality of his filter. He
has owned all but one of these fish from 8 years ago when they were 3"
long.(Hence the small tank). He was in the process of building his
permanent Koi pond of about 7500 gallons!

Anyway we had a serious rain fall here in southern California last night,
and somehow his GFCI outlet his pumps were connected to went out. No pump,
no filtration, extremely high ammonia spike.

He lost 10 of his 11 show quality huge Koi. He was so attached to these
fish. You can imagine having had them for 8 years and raising them from
babies. It was sad seeing a grown LAPD Officer cry because of his Koi.

I had to help him dig the holes to bury these Koi in.

Moral of the story? Don't rely so much on your pump and filtration by over

I hope he doesn't give up ponding!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."

Old 17-03-2003, 12:44 AM
LRobi31070

how sad! Sorry!
Old 17-03-2003, 02:20 PM
BenignVanilla

"Just Me "Koi"" wrote in message
Hi all,
One of my ponding buddy met with great pond disaster.

snip

That totally sucks. I lost my gar about 2 weeks ago, so I kinda know how he
feels. Wow 10 fish. My condolences.

BV.

Old 17-03-2003, 04:44 PM
John

Although I could not bring your friend's Koi back, I may have advice
for him on how to save some money building his new pond.
I built my 5500-6000 gallon (I do know the exactly number) one
week ago in 2 days, spending only $240 in labor and two lunch
special.
I hired 2 day labor workers ($60 per day per person) and they
completely built the pond, paved the underlay and EPDM liner (not
including electric,pump etc)
The only thing I did was telling them how I wanted the pond to be
built and watching them digging and moving all the dirt to my lawn,
flating the dirt , and
correcting them if what they did was not what I wanted.
I found those two labor workers in EL Monte Home Depot (Home Depot
even built a patio for those day labor workers.)
The home Depot is in the intersection of Lower Azusa and Balwin
I believe they are more day workers there in weekends.
9700 Lower Azusa Road
El Monte, CA 91731
(626)443-2100
Map
http://mappoint.msn.com/(ywfwiujcmuzncm55a1lbtm45)/map.aspx?L=USA&C=34.08979%2c-118.05501&A=7.16667&P=|34.08979%2c-118.05501|1|9700+Lower+Azusa+Rd%2c+El+Monte%2c+CA+ 91731|L1|

John

Old 17-03-2003, 05:20 PM
~ jan

Wow! Sad story. :'o(

When I first got into internet ponding I started at Compuserve's Fishnet.
There was a guy there with an indoor pond that had it rig up (aaah,
technology) to call his cell phone if the power went out, leaks, and
various other troubleshooting capibilities. But I digress....

I know in the summer, with my koi ponds, all I can say is, "By the grace of
God, go I" if I'm not careful. ~ jan

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:53:42 GMT, "Just Me \"Koi\"" wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 18-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

He feels the same way you do right now! They were ok for so long, without
the pump problem.

Your point is well taken by me.

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

"Nedra" wrote in message
news
What in Heavens name was the guy thinking - keeping
that many "show quality" Koi in such a TINY pond??
I feel sorry for the poor fish! What a fool your friend is!

Sorry for my attitude - I must be honest here - - even if it
hurts your friend.

Nedra

"BenignVanilla" wrote in
message ...

Old 18-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Just Me \Koi\

He found a cheaper way. Buy a case of Guinness, rent a backhoe (Cucamonga
has large rocks underground), and invite me and other friends over for cheap
labor!

--
_______________________________________
"Architecture is the ultimate erotic 'object'."
Bernard Tschumi, "Architecture & Transgression"

"John" wrote in message
m...
[...]

. ..

Isn't this a PORG noahsnana Ponds 3 19-07-2004 11:07 PM
Isn't this a PORG noahsnana Ponds 3 13-07-2004 10:03 AM
red bud struck by lightning Connie & Alan North Carolina 5 11-08-2003 06:11 AM
to new members/PORG john rutz Ponds 0 07-08-2003 06:32 PM
Porg for BV ;-) K30a Ponds 1 17-03-2003 02:32 PM