Old 18-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Bill Bunn

Default Lightning kills turtles in pond

I had a painted turtle and a red eared slider that had outgrown the turtle
bowl in the house. They were almost as large as the palm of a hand. So out
in the backyard pond (6'x12' about 2' deep,plastic liner) they went with the
goldfish. They were doing very well, sunning on a log and competing with the
goldfish for food. One evening I was sitting at the window overlooking the
pond during a severe thunderstorm and lightning struck really close by. A
huge flash and crack. I found no damage but the turtles are gone. The
goldfish are OK and the pond and pump are fine. I assume the shock killed
them and they are on the bottom.
Has anyone heard of an incident like this?

Old 18-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Bunn" wrote in message
I had a painted turtle and a red eared slider that had outgrown the turtle
bowl in the house. They were almost as large as the palm of a hand. So out
in the backyard pond (6'x12' about 2' deep,plastic liner) they went with
the
goldfish. They were doing very well, sunning on a log and competing with
the
goldfish for food. One evening I was sitting at the window overlooking the
pond during a severe thunderstorm and lightning struck really close by. A
huge flash and crack. I found no damage but the turtles are gone. The
goldfish are OK and the pond and pump are fine. I assume the shock killed
them and they are on the bottom.
Has anyone heard of an incident like this?

=================================
I would think anything that would kill a turtle would also kill your fish.
Sometimes we don't see our red eared slider for several days at a time.
Could your turtles have simply wandered off? Are there dogs wandering
around your neighborhood? Raccoons?
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 19-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Bill Bunn

The turtles were there before the storm and gone after.

Old 19-09-2005, 02:37 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Bunn" wrote in message
The turtles were there before the storm and gone after.

If the lightning did kill them you should find their bodies soon (bad odor).
I hope you do because if they died in the water they can make a real foul
mess in no time. If you haven't found their bodies I would suspect
something came along and took them, or they just wandered away.