Old 19-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Berkshire
Unhappy Hi New Here - and a sad day

Hi there Im new here and looking for some input.

I have owned fish for a few years (cold water in a tank) and have recently had the garden landscaped with decking and a sunken pond. We also had a big Pergola built over the top for cover. After cycling the pond - I have now been able to stock my pond. The pond's water level is in line with the decking boards. I have my Koi (2 small metallic) some gold fish, a small albino sturgeon, a small sterlet and as of last weekend, Spike - my Stellatis Sturgeon - about 14". Spike I waited for - until everything was totally pucker with the pond.

This morning I came down at 6:30 to a nightmare :-( Spike was lying in the middle of the grassed lawn - some way from the decking/pond. He was still breathing and no "visible" marks. To cut a long story short - he didnt make it although I tried my best - floating him around the pond, - he responded initially but I had no idea how long he had been out of the water - or why !

Tonight I have put a "crass" net over the entire pond in case we have any more predators. Now I am trying to work out what the options are for what happened. I d appreciate any thoughts.

a) |He jumped out of the pond - doubtful but I suppose possible

b) A Heron - although I think it would have taken off with the fish, it would have had marks ???? or there would have been more fatalities??

c) CAT ! My partner thinks this but I am not sure. He would certainly be easy prey since Sturgeon do come around the surface in darkness and he would have been easy to swoop !

Any ideas guys ? And also any advice on "custom made" nets/fitments and where I can source one.

Many thanks

Simon
Old 20-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Spike" wrote in message

[...]

$$ I don't know about sturgeons but I have found goldfish and koi on my lawn
as well. I believe they jumped out those times and flipped and flopped
until they were several feet from the pond. They had no marks on them at
all. With the bird netting they can't jump like that anymore. We haven't
lost one since the netting's.

Tonight I have put a "crass" net over the entire pond in case we have
any more predators. Now I am trying to work out what the options are
for what happened. I d appreciate any thoughts.

$$ You may have more than cats to worry about unless you're in the city. We
caught another young snapping turtle in our pond this morning. They will
take bites out of fish and can kill them when they're big enough.

a) |He jumped out of the pond - doubtful but I suppose possible

b) A Heron - although I think it would have taken off with the fish, it
would have had marks ???? or there would have been more fatalities??

$$ The herons and Kingfishers we have here always took the fish away as did
the snakes and bullfrogs. Snappers will leave fish body parts around the
pond. :-(

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 20-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Jumping seems the most likely option. In wild ponds, fish often roll
down into the water when they flop on land. In our ponds, they don't.

Too bad to have such a loss.

Jim

Old 20-09-2005, 03:32 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Spike wrote:
weekend, Spike - my Stellatis Sturgeon - about 14". Spike I waited for
- until everything was totally pucker with the pond.

Hi Simon,

The morning you discovered Spike, did you get a water sample and check it?
Whenever there is a problem or oddity w/the pond and its inhabitants, one
should always check their water parameters. Some things can go south over
night. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Berkshire

Hiya

Yes - since I am so "Ana"l about my pond (or so my partner tells me ) - I do a water test every morning before I go to work (its still a young pond) - and every night ! As I mentioned in my first post - I have been meticulous about getting the pond set up and established BEFORE I stocked it. The water conditions are perfect (according to the tests) and its very well aeriated - given I knew I wanted some Sturgeon.

Yes I know what you mean about "overnight" - a bit like when I was cycling it with the new pump months ago -

Cheers
Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ jan JJsPond.us