Old 23-09-2005, 12:09 AM
Peter Breed

Default Fish Growth

Does goldfish growth slow down once they reach a certain size or age.
Has any body seen any figures on this. I've seen Koi growth graphs on
the web, but nothing for goldfish/shubunkins/comets. I wondered if that
size was related to pond dimensions. I've read that shubunkins can reach
12inches and goldfish 18in, how long does it take them to get this big?
Peter
Old 23-09-2005, 12:26 AM
~ jan jjspondus

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:09:35 GMT, Peter Breed
wrote:

Does goldfish growth slow down once they reach a certain size or age.
Has any body seen any figures on this. I've seen Koi growth graphs on
the web, but nothing for goldfish/shubunkins/comets. I wondered if that
size was related to pond dimensions. I've read that shubunkins can reach
12inches and goldfish 18in, how long does it take them to get this big?
Peter

Hi Peter,

I've seen goldfish in big ponds be 12" - 14" but not much more. As far as
how long does it take them to grow that big, depends. Depends on water
changes/quality, size of pond, and type of food.

To give you an idea, I had some fantail fry that I gave out to another
ponder. She put several in a 55 gallon tank, fed them heavily, did constant
water changes and watched them like a hawk. I, otoh, put a few in a 20
gallon, fed them 1/day, did water change twice/month. In 6 months time mine
were the size of a ping pong ball, hers were the size of a softball! There
was a difference though in quality of the colors, hers the orange was quite
faded against the white, but mine were still bright. I have since seen
articles regarding growing fish too fast can affect the coloring outcome in
a negative way. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 23-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
Does goldfish growth slow down once they reach a certain size or age.

## Yes.

Has any body seen any figures on this. I've seen Koi growth graphs on the
web, but nothing for goldfish/shubunkins/comets.

## They grow at different rates even when raised in the same pond with the
exact same care. It would also depend on the length of the season where
they are, the water quality and the food they're fed and how often.

I wondered if that
size was related to pond dimensions.

## Only as related to the above. A smaller pond would be more likely have
water quality issues a bigger pond would not - affecting their rate of
growth.

I've read that shubunkins can reach
12inches and goldfish 18in,

## Both of these are goldfish. I assume you're including their tail fins
that can grow quite long.

how long does it take them to get this big?

## The answer is above.

Peter

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...