Old 23-09-2005, 12:29 AM
~ jan jjspond

Default Project for Winter

Bored, pond group taken over by trolls? For the frustrated, winter bound
cyber ponder:

Project for Winter whiners? You know who you are, those of you NOT looking
forward to winter and the closing of the pond season. ;o) Here is a project
for you, you will need:

3 different house plants that easily root in water
Ex: Peace Lily, heart leaf Philodendron, Arrowhead, etc
Soak these in tap water, minimum 3 days, ideally a week.
A small waterproof container about 2 gallon size, ~ 7" deep, flat bottom
3 small black nursery pots, 2" size is ideal.
Small River Rock enough to fill the 3 pots above
Becket Container Garden Fountain Kit (BCGF) or
pump & bell fountain kit of similar size.

Put the pump in it's (rinsed) foam filter and place in the center of your
waterproof container, fill partially with pond water. Placed soaked
cuttings, one plant per pot and add rocks to hold firm. Place around
filter/pump. Philodendron, vine type, can be used to hide cord going over
side. Top off with anacharis or hornwort in the middle to hide the filter.
Fill the rest of the way with pond or dechlorinated water, turn on pump and
let circulate. Now you can add a couple of tiny baby fish for a ponsai
or... you have one heck of a fancy cat/dog watering bowl.

*********** If you see anything missing in the above instruction, please
let me know. I'm teaching a hands on ponsai class Thursday. TIA ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-09-2005, 04:43 AM

I am putting up a hoop over my pond this winter so I can sit outside all winter long
when the sun is out it should get pretty toasty.
here is my pond in winter http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/winters/winter.htm
pond in summer http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/changes/changes.htm
For the last 2 winters I have been heating the pond with a 500 watt submersible tank
heater and it kept the temp 50oF or better for all but 1 winter month. The pond is
covered with plastic. the water lily does great. I feed the fish every few days a
little bit all but that one month.
I have added no new fish in 3 years, had the pond netted and no sick fish, a little
scrapes on them once in a while. havent added any medications in 2 years. no romet.
havent lost any fish in 3 years. I decided on the "closed" pond system 3 years ago
and keeping the temp up during winter cause the year before the fish had no food for
nearly 6 months of the year. this cant be good for them.
this year I am going to put a veggie filter IN the pond over winter and see how it
works. Ingrid

~ jan jjspond wrote:

Bored, pond group taken over by trolls? For the frustrated, winter bound
cyber ponder:

Project for Winter whiners? You know who you are, those of you NOT looking
forward to winter and the closing of the pond season. ;o) Here is a project
for you, you will need:

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 25-09-2005, 04:11 PM
Wilmdale

GREAT Idea!!!
And it is getting to be that time here in Colorado Springs. Cattails
have all turned yellow (kinda pretty looking) and the lilies are yellow
and ready to be trimmed again, some of the watercress is slowing down
and the parrots feather in the filters is beginning to turn yellow and
red. The cycle of pond life here in CO.
W. Dale

Old 25-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Wilmdale

WOW!! Nice job!
W. Dale

~ jan jjspond wrote:

Bored, pond group taken over by trolls? For the frustrated, winter bound
cyber ponder:

Project for Winter whiners? You know who you are, those of you NOT looking
forward to winter and the closing of the pond season. ;o) Here is a project
for you, you will need:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Old 25-09-2005, 07:31 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:11:35 -0600, Wilmdale wrote:

GREAT Idea!!!

Thank you. So much for the comments regarding the usefulness of old posts
being rerun. ;o)

Here too, things are a changin'. Down to feeding the low protein stuff and
only once/day. s Two of the 5 fantails have been brought inside. ~ jan

Old 26-09-2005, 05:20 AM

unhappily it just gets looking great in time for the snow to fly. argh. Ingrid

Wilmdale wrote:

WOW!! Nice job!
W. Dale

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 26-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
unhappily it just gets looking great in time for the snow to fly. argh.
Ingrid

Please send some snow my way! I think we
beat the record high yesterday, around 105, and
today might be almost as hot. Topping off
the ponds means getting up early so as not
to disturb the bees that get really POd when
I get too close to *their* watering hole!

Occasionally it will get cold enough here for
the above-ground (stocktank) ponds to form
a thin shell of ice, but that's easy to remove. The
in-ground pond has never iced over ("never"
is relative - the pond is only about 3 yrs old).

Gail
near San Antonio TX