Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 PM
fire fly

Default pond filters and winter

I'm new to ponding and very new to pond filters.

I've got a cheap pond filter which incorporates a UV lamp, some foam and
some rocks. Water is pumped from the fountain through the filter and back
into the pond. I have 7 smallish fish in a 400 gallon pond.

My question is this - do I need to keep the filter running 24/7 during the
winter? I live in London. Mild winters, average overnight min -4deg C,
average day temp 5-10deg C

Nick

Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Reel McKoi

fire fly wrote:
I'm new to ponding and very new to pond filters.

I've got a cheap pond filter which incorporates a UV lamp, some foam and
some rocks. Water is pumped from the fountain through the filter and back
into the pond. I have 7 smallish fish in a 400 gallon pond.

My question is this - do I need to keep the filter running 24/7 during the
winter? I live in London. Mild winters, average overnight min -4deg C,
average day temp 5-10deg C

Nick

========================
When the water temps reach 50 F here we shut the pumps off and clean
and store the filters. One small pump (power-head) is left running to
keep slow water movement at one end of the ponds. It also keeps any
ice from forming over the complete surface. One corner is always ice
free. Our winters can reach single digits.

McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 04-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Glenn S.

I have always heard that it's best NOT to leave the filter/pump running
during the colder months. Supposedly this is to avoid having super-cold
water circulated throughout the pond. However, I also know that a lot of
people say they leave their pumps/waterfalls running all winter because it
keeps an open area (non-ice) for gas/oxygen exchange.

As for me, I have NO running water in either pond during the winter. I use
a small pond de-icer to keep a hole opened if it ices over.

--
G.D.Smith
Harpers Ferry, WV

FOR SALE: 2005 Mercedes-Benz SLK350
http://ICanHelp56.homestead.com/MB_SLK350_01.html

Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Peter Breed

fire fly wrote:
I'm new to ponding and very new to pond filters.

I've got a cheap pond filter which incorporates a UV lamp, some foam and
some rocks. Water is pumped from the fountain through the filter and back
into the pond. I have 7 smallish fish in a 400 gallon pond.

My question is this - do I need to keep the filter running 24/7 during the
winter? I live in London. Mild winters, average overnight min -4deg C,
average day temp 5-10deg C

Nick

My first winter was last winter, with a similar setup 550 gallons in
Leics. I took my filter out once the water temp was below 8 C which was
about late october. The bacteria don't work cold anyway. I drained it
and stuck it in the shed for the winter. Last year I left the water fall
in place and switched it on - on warm days. This was probably a mistake
and I plan on draining this of residual water this year. I bought a
deicer and stuck it on when the weather forecast predict air temps below
freezing. I didn't loose any fish last winter, fingers crossed for this one.
I am sure there are people with vastly more experience out there if the
trolls haven't chased them away.
Peter
Old 05-10-2005, 01:07 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Peter Breed" wrote in message
news
My first winter was last winter, with a similar setup 550 gallons in
Leics. I took my filter out once the water temp was below 8 C which was
about late october. The bacteria don't work cold anyway. I drained it and
stuck it in the shed for the winter. Last year I left the water fall in
place and switched it on - on warm days. This was probably a mistake and I
plan on draining this of residual water this year. I bought a deicer and
stuck it on when the weather forecast predict air temps below freezing. I
didn't loose any fish last winter, fingers crossed for this one.
I am sure there are people with vastly more experience out there if the
trolls haven't chased them away.
Peter

===============
The main thing is keeping the water from freezing solid and killing the
fish - and - keeping an opening in the ice to allow gasses to escape. Ponds
of any size shouldn't go into winter with a deep layer of mulm on the bottom
as unhealthy gasses can form, or so some people claim. I net out as much of
the leaves that fall through the nets as possible and the debris from the
pond plants. We seldom lose a fish over the winter and I'm in zone 6.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Snooze

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
ups.com...

Please explain why yet again you've changed aliases. I am seriously getting
tired of having to constantly killfile you.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 AM
~ jan jjspond

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 01:57:26 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
oups.com...

Please explain why yet again you've changed aliases. I am seriously getting
tired of having to constantly killfile you.

Maybe, just maybe, she's gonna behave this time? (Yeah, I know, how many
times do I have to be kicked in the head, right?) ~ jan -- always hoping
Old 05-10-2005, 04:20 AM
~ jan jjspond

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 22:11:12 +0100, "fire fly"
wrote:

I'm new to ponding and very new to pond filters.

I've got a cheap pond filter which incorporates a UV lamp, some foam and
some rocks. Water is pumped from the fountain through the filter and back
into the pond. I have 7 smallish fish in a 400 gallon pond.

My question is this - do I need to keep the filter running 24/7 during the
winter? I live in London. Mild winters, average overnight min -4deg C,
average day temp 5-10deg C

Nick

As mentioned you don't want to super cool the water. But, things have
changed in the thinking of shutting down the filter, and I've seen the
proof in my own situation. So if you can slow the flow and not run
over a waterfall, I'd keep it going. It's not like you get real cold
anyway. ~ jan
Old 05-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Snooze

"Ron" wrote in
message . theremailer.net...
She's been posting as Reel McKoi for months. She didn't change
her alias. Are you blind or are you another troll? McKoi's
posts are on topic. Please explain why all of yours are nothing
but habitually bitchy whiny~assed complaints. Maybe we should
all killfile your whining ****y posts, eh? Take a hike cry baby.

[snip]

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

[snip]

Her name has consistantly been "Reel McKoi", true. Her email address on the
other hand hasn't been consistant, which is what I was filtering on.
These are her most recent "email addresses"
lid
invalid@invalid

There are probably others, but i coudn't identify them from the filter list.
I chose not to read Carol's posts because of her war with Jabriol. Way i see
it, pistols at 10 paces at dawn is the only solution, winner is welcome to
be a ponder.

-S

Old 10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
fire fly

Thanks people - I going with Jans advice, slowing the flow rate down and
leaving it running.

Nick

Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM
~ jan jjspond

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:11:51 +0100, "fire fly" wrote:

Thanks people - I going with Jans advice, slowing the flow rate down and
leaving it running.

Nick

Do I win a prize? ;-) Seriously, I hope it works as well for you as it has
for me. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~