Old 25-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Carol-Ann

Default Small Umbrella Palm

These have done exceptionally well for us here in zone 6. Planted in a clay
soil with no fertilizers added, they quadruple in size by fall. Lush, full,
beautiful, they may need some trimming before being brought in for the
winter. Trimming off the shoots that hang over in all directions doesn't
harm them. A hard frost will kill them. One year spider mites killed them
over the winter. By the time I realized they were badly infested, they were
too far gone. I now spray them several times with a strong insecticide
before they go into the sunroom for the winter. These plants do better in a
bucket of water until spring. I keep the water level just below the pot's
rim. They get a weak fertilizer added about once a month until they go back
out to the ponds in mid April.
--

Carol-Ann McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: