Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Frog development

Ahem, ribit. Anyone know much about frogs out there?

Last May I put 3 large tadpoles from the pet store into my 400 gallon
pond, here in San Francisco. They are rana pipiens, and I was told
they'd develop into frogs by August. Well, here in early November,
they look pretty much like large tadpoles still. One has larger (rear)
legs, but I don't see any development of front legs.

Last weekend I went to a different pet store to replenish my supply of
elodea plants, which the local raccoons think is a delicacy. There
were small frogs there (from Japan I was told) and I purchased 2, let
them go, and they've quickly disappeared, which I expected to happen.
Anyway, the owner of this pet store says that tadpoles won't develop
into frogs unless the water level gets low, and they're forced to.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

Ahem, ribit. Anyone know much about frogs out there?

Last May I put 3 large tadpoles from the pet store into my 400 gallon
pond, here in San Francisco. They are rana pipiens, and I was told
they'd develop into frogs by August. Well, here in early November,
they look pretty much like large tadpoles still. One has larger (rear)
legs, but I don't see any development of front legs.

Last weekend I went to a different pet store to replenish my supply of
elodea plants, which the local raccoons think is a delicacy. There
were small frogs there (from Japan I was told) and I purchased 2, let
them go, and they've quickly disappeared, which I expected to happen.

Please don't do that. The world does _not_ need people deliberately
releasing foreign species into the wild. We have enough trouble with it
happening accidentally. Do you realize that you've probably confessed to a
criminal act?

I don't know if Leopard Frogs (I'm really surprised they're even available
in stores) are native to California, but it's for sure that Japanese frogs
won't be.

Anyway, the owner of this pet store says that tadpoles won't develop
into frogs unless the water level gets low, and they're forced to.

Most tadpoles will develop in the first summer, but bullfrogs often don't
morph until their second year. I've never heard that they need to be
"forced", though I suspect drying puddles _will_ spur the development of
legs and absorption of the tail.
--
derek
Old 04-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

re legless tadpole, I doubt it will morph this year, it will probably over winter as a tadpole.
Sorry but why by foriegn frogs and place them where they can escape into the surroundings, foriegn species should be contained.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Carol-Ann

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ahem, ribit. Anyone know much about frogs out there?

Last May I put 3 large tadpoles from the pet store into my 400 gallon
pond, here in San Francisco. They are rana pipiens, and I was told
they'd develop into frogs by August. Well, here in early November,
they look pretty much like large tadpoles still. One has larger (rear)
legs, but I don't see any development of front legs.

## Some take 2 years to develop and leave the water as frogs.

Last weekend I went to a different pet store to replenish my supply of
elodea plants, which the local raccoons think is a delicacy. There
were small frogs there (from Japan I was told) and I purchased 2, let
them go, and they've quickly disappeared,

## It is ILLEGAL to turn lose many critters from other countries, here in
the USA. Please be careful of what you turn loose.

which I expected to happen.
Anyway, the owner of this pet store says that tadpoles won't develop
into frogs unless the water level gets low, and they're forced to.

## That isn't true. Always be suspicious of what pet store clerks tell you.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks!

--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ahem, ribit. Anyone know much about frogs out there?

Last May I put 3 large tadpoles from the pet store into my 400 gallon
pond, here in San Francisco. They are rana pipiens, and I was told
they'd develop into frogs by August. Well, here in early November,
they look pretty much like large tadpoles still. One has larger (rear)
legs, but I don't see any development of front legs.

Last weekend I went to a different pet store to replenish my supply of
elodea plants, which the local raccoons think is a delicacy. There
were small frogs there (from Japan I was told) and I purchased 2, let
them go, and they've quickly disappeared, which I expected to happen.
Anyway, the owner of this pet store says that tadpoles won't develop
into frogs unless the water level gets low, and they're forced to.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks!

I have read/heard that tadpoles sometimes only develop into frogs after 2 or
more years and some definitely have to winter over because of that. Good
luck and later!

Offical Frog ~ Pacific Chorus Frog kthirtya Ponds (moderated) 1 02-05-2007 05:18 PM
Fry development Lee Brouillet Ponds 7 28-05-2006 06:47 PM
CANCER-FIGHTING POTATO UNDER DEVELOPMENT David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 20-09-2003 02:32 PM
Pond development update (longish) and a question Tony Sanders Ponds 1 26-03-2003 10:20 PM
[IBC] Big Bougainvillea - 3 Years of Development Luis Fontanills Bonsai 0 25-03-2003 01:44 PM