Old 10-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Richard Holub

Default Size of koi fry???

This spring I found koi fry in my pond from the recently placed 12" koi
which I wintered indoors. After the first 3 weeks I noticed my first batch.
Five weeks after bringing the koi outside I noticed another number of small
fry along with the now larger fry. By mid summer I counted a total of
approximately 18 small koi in 3 different sizes. I have now winterized the
pond and I have some question:

1. Do koi grow so quickly in one season (6 months) from tiny fry to 5 in.
in the case of the largest fry?
2. Will they have a chance of survival in my first pond 18 in. in depth? I
live in Massachusetts (Z5).
3. My original koi were only 5-6 in. long when I first purchased them in
8/20/04. As soon as I placed them outside in Spring 2005 they grew quickly
to their present size of 12 in. and they had fry. Is this normal?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:10 AM
Carol-Ann

"Richard Holub" wrote in message
This spring I found koi fry in my pond from the recently placed 12" koi
which I wintered indoors. After the first 3 weeks I noticed my first
batch. Five weeks after bringing the koi outside I noticed another number
of small fry along with the now larger fry. By mid summer I counted a
total of approximately 18 small koi in 3 different sizes. I have now
winterized the pond and I have some question:

1. Do koi grow so quickly in one season (6 months) from tiny fry to 5 in.
in the case of the largest fry?

## Yes, they can even grow bigger than that.

2. Will they have a chance of survival in my first pond 18 in. in depth?
I live in Massachusetts (Z5).

## Not if it freezes down to the bottom. That's awfully shallow for Mass.
You will probably have to bring them into a garage or basement to keep them
alive.

3. My original koi were only 5-6 in. long when I first purchased them in
8/20/04. As soon as I placed them outside in Spring 2005 they grew
quickly to their present size of 12 in. and they had fry. Is this normal?

## Yes! You're koi must be healthy and your pond well balanced. :-) You're
doing something right.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
Koi fry update Reel McKoi Ponds 0 14-05-2005 02:21 AM
The Koi Fry :-))) Reel McKoi Ponds 0 30-04-2005 09:37 PM
Zillions of koi fry Reel McKoi Ponds 5 24-04-2005 01:51 AM
koi and plants? depends on the pond size.... and the koi's diet... adavisus Ponds 3 07-08-2003 08:22 AM