Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2005, 12:08 AM
Carl Beyer

Default Emergency Koi Problem

I sure hope this group is still alive......

My 500 gallon pond is near a sprinkling control for the house. Last
night, around 4 or 5 AM it burst, and ran city water into the pond for
about 3 hours at least.

We caught it, but my mosquito fish are all dead. The big Koi and
Chubunkin fish have been "breathing hard" since. I immediatly turned on
a water fall to aerate. But 4 hours afterward and I still have heavy
breathing fish.

I took a sample of water to the LFS and it tested fine, but I was told
to apply some water conditioner.

The LFS owner thinks I may have clorine poisoning, and that it is just
inevitable that the fish will all die within a few days...

From the line break to the pond is about 1 foot, over dirt that does not
get any poisons or fertilizer so I am pessimistic this is an issue. I
am a bit surprised about the Clorine, although it is raining in LA, as
the water was gushing out of a pipe and hitting oxygen before the pond...

Anyone have any suggestions? Hate to loose the kids this way...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com