Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Setzler

Default calling Gary Woods Garlic emergency!

Gary,
I tried some scapes the other night, stir fried with a bunch of other vegetables
and they were inedible! How do I do it right? How much of the stem? any? do you
peel the scapes? Did I get them too late? is there a window?

Thanks, I was so sure I was cooking something gourmet and wonderful and was
disappointed. The flavor was delicious, but they were tough as nails.

susan

Old 08-07-2003, 03:32 PM
Joanne

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 08:50:01 -0400, Setzler
wrote:
Gary,
I tried some scapes the other night, stir fried with a bunch of other vegetables
and they were inedible! How do I do it right? How much of the stem? any? do you
peel the scapes? Did I get them too late? is there a window?

Thanks, I was so sure I was cooking something gourmet and wonderful and was
disappointed. The flavor was delicious, but they were tough as nails.

susan

Not Gary, but you know I tried adding my scapes to stir-fry's on other
folks recomendation and I too found them tough. They had a nice taste
but I hated the texture.

jc
---
Old 08-07-2003, 11:24 PM
simy1

Setzler wrote in message ...
Gary,
I tried some scapes the other night, stir fried with a bunch of other vegetables
and they were inedible! How do I do it right? How much of the stem? any? do you
peel the scapes? Did I get them too late? is there a window?

Thanks, I was so sure I was cooking something gourmet and wonderful and was
disappointed. The flavor was delicious, but they were tough as nails.

susan

way way too late. I picked them one month ago in Michigan. They stay
soft about one week. In fact you should pick them as soon as you
recognize the scape, possibly before they do a 360.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Gary Woods

Joanne wrote:

Not Gary, but you know I tried adding my scapes to stir-fry's on other
folks recomendation and I too found them tough.

Gary was at a "healthy living" class.... sorry!

Sounds like the scapes were much too old, as others have said. I always
cut off the papery tip above the "bud" because there's not much substance
there.
Which reminds me; I need to stir-fry a batch for myself; gave most of them
away, and still have lots of the pesto frozen in cubes.

Old 09-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Joanne

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:50:54 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Joanne wrote:

Not Gary, but you know I tried adding my scapes to stir-fry's on other
folks recomendation and I too found them tough.

Sounds like the scapes were much too old, as others have said. I always
cut off the papery tip above the "bud" because there's not much substance
there.

I usually picked them within 1 week of appearing, was that too late?
Saw nothing "papery" above the bud, just the casing or "tail" of what
would eventually have become the flower (did that make sence?).

Thanks.

jcm

Toronto, Canada
Canadian zone 6, U.S. zone is apparently 4b

Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
PING Gary Woods Jon Endres, PE Edible Gardening 5 15-10-2003 03:02 AM
Calling dr solo, Calling dr solo FBCS Ponds 9 11-09-2003 07:09 AM
Gary Rich - Young Koi Show? Carl Beyer Ponds 1 12-08-2003 08:51 PM
Gary Wills, professional troll Cereoid+10 Plant Biology 3 05-04-2003 03:32 PM