Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-11-2005, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default New pond

I've got this pond out in back of the house that I'm going to have cleaned
up. The thing is roughly circular, about 40-45' in diameter. The former
owner of this property used it to dispose of brush and even old chairs and
I think I can see an old barbeque in there. The water level is down now so
that there is only about 6 inches of water in the center, but after a rain
the thing can fill up to where I'd guess it's a good three feet or better
in depth at the center, This guy is gonna haul the trash away, and drive
a bulldozer over the rest of the crud that remains. I know there isn't
anything *too* nasty in there, because last summer the place was full of
frogs and turtles and the like, so at least it doesn't seem to have been a
Toxic Waste Dump or anything. I live in northern Florida (near where I-75
and I-10 intersect) and on what is classic "poorly drained" land, mostly
clayish -- no rocks. I'm sort of in a rural area, lots of wildlife
(including deer, armadillos, alligators, heron, turtles of all kinds,
etc.). So is there anything I ought to do now (the kind of thing I'll
Regret Forever if I don't). The general idea is that the whole area should
thrive on a fair amount of neglect. I really excel at being lazy.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Alone we can just aspire to be dumb, but together we can be truly stupid