Old 10-12-2005, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

Default How deep for raccoons

How deep must a ledge be to keep raccoons out?

Also, thanks to those of you who do not respond to trolls. It's what's
killing this newsgroup.

--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

Old 10-12-2005, 07:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ jan jjspond

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:36:37 -0500, "PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote:
How deep must a ledge be to keep raccoons out?

Drop it off sharply to 14" and then again to the deep point. I had a
raccoon attack and he didn't get any fish with those measurements, but he
sure tried. My rocks are dry stacked so he couldn't get a purchase
either.... so deeper may be better if you have solid sides. The important
points are don't give them a shallow beach front to fish from, or places
they can firmly perch on.

Purchasing a Scarecrow and having it on 24/7 took care of further tries.

Also, thanks to those of you who do not respond to trolls.

Ditto. Course my killfile is so full, I hardly see much of anything these
days. ;o) ~ jan

----------------
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 10-12-2005, 08:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote in message
How deep must a ledge be to keep raccoons out?

Also, thanks to those of you who do not respond to trolls. It's what's
killing this newsgroup.

=============================
I'm not sure about raccoons as they don't come near our ponds - but if you
have raccoons you probably also have other fish eaters such as herons, water
snakes, bullfrogs and kingfishers. These can clean out a pond in no time.

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our sides are a straight concrete 24". Never an heron or a coon.

Once the trolls are mostly kill-filed, the group works well. Our rule is
simply that posters crossposting are killed. Works pretty well.

Jim

Old 16-12-2005, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

Default How deep for raccoons - Thanks

Thanks for all your input. I've decided I'll put a 2' shelf on just one
side of the pond to help with getting in and out. I may increase the depth
from 3' to 4'.

Don't the off topic posters in this group realize that they are quickly put
into kill files and never heard from again?

Robin
The Poconos

. ..

Old 17-12-2005, 11:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

May the coons leave you alone.

May the crossposters do their own thing in their own groups. I concur:
Killfile works wonders. It is amazing how well it works.

Jim