Old 19-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Mary C.

Default When to Put in Pump & PH Question

We live in Zone 5 (Ohio) where temps have been running mid-50s to high
60s the last couple of days. We took our pump out before winter and was
wondering when it would be safe to start up. The pond is still in the
high 40s but fish are coming to the top. Water green, etc. but I guess
is to be expected this time of year.

Also, I did an ammonia check which was 0 but my PH is 9.0! Should I be
concerned about that, and if so, what should I do. I prefer not to use
chemicals to move it around. Is this common this time of year?

Thanks.

Mary Samery

Old 19-03-2003, 08:20 PM
RichToyBox

Mary,

If the ice is off the pond, and expected to stay off, then I would restart
the pump. Just a question, what time did you check the pH? With green
water, the CO2 level goes up and down with the time of day. Overnight it
builds up, and the pH will go down. During the day due to photosynthesis,
the CO2 level goes down, and the pH increases. I would not worry about the
9.0, but I would worry about high fluctuations, which cause stress to the
fish. If it is fluctuating, then add some baking soda to buffer the pH. It
will both lower high pH and raise low pH.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Coffee

I live in zone6 PA My pumps are on with the filter. I never feed the fish
till the water temp is over 50 degrees. You should give the fish time to
adjust their digestive tracts to accept food. Feeding to early could cause
dropsy(bloat) and there is no cure. They will be fine picking at the sludge
from winter.

Patty

Where to put pump BoyPete Ponds 7 17-03-2006 04:58 AM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
Pool Pump Cover (was Swimming pool filter/pump question) Raymond Luxury-Yacht Lawns 0 15-05-2003 07:56 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 12:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 05:42 AM