Old 15-03-2006, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Default Where to put pump

Hi, Just found this group. I'm excavating for a pond......first time. Only a
small one, about 7ft by 7ft, 3ft at deepest. Q. Does the pump for the filter
have to be at the deepest part?
TIA
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 15-03-2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Hi, Just found this group. I'm excavating for a pond......first time. Only
a small one, about 7ft by 7ft, 3ft at deepest. Q. Does the pump for the
filter have to be at the deepest part?
TIA

===============
NO! That's dangerous as if a connection came lose you can lose all your
fish and burn out your pump. Always have it above the bottom by at least
18" to 2' for safety. Don't put in real close to the filter's outflow for
obvious reasons. Try to get it as far from the outflow as possible.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 15-03-2006, 10:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
BoyPete

Koi-Lo wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
Hi, Just found this group. I'm excavating for a pond......first
time. Only a small one, about 7ft by 7ft, 3ft at deepest. Q. Does
the pump for the filter have to be at the deepest part?
TIA

===============
NO! That's dangerous as if a connection came lose you can lose all
your fish and burn out your pump. Always have it above the bottom by
at least 18" to 2' for safety. Don't put in real close to the
filter's outflow for obvious reasons. Try to get it as far from the
outflow as possible.

Thanks, that fits with my plan quite nicely.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 15-03-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
BoyPete wrote:
Hi, Just found this group.

Good timing.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 16-03-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Hi, Just found this group. I'm excavating for a pond......first time. Only
a small one, about 7ft by 7ft, 3ft at deepest. Q. Does the pump for the
filter have to be at the deepest part?
TIA

You want to place the pump as far as possible from the discharge (typically
the filter or waterfall) to promote water circulation. Putting the pump in
the deepest part is tempting, but not a good idea, if the hose to the
waterfall falls out, you could wake up to a drained pond full of dead fish.
In the deepest part though add a bottom drain, if you don't, you'll wish you
had.

Somewhere in the many rules of ponding is the law that states.
Pond drainings only occur at night, or when you're at work.

Old 16-03-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:02:08 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
snip
Somewhere in the many rules of ponding is the law that states.
Pond drainings only occur at night, or when you're at work.

That law also applies to aquarium keeping as well.......and its fact.
I had an auto topoff on my one 210 gal reef tank for more than three
years , and it worked perfectly since day one. The very first time we
went away for a weekend, we came back to a soggy carpet, and a pump
running dry......the darn thing stuck and overfilled the tank and
droppd my salinity from a 1.025 to a 1.020 or so.......Lucky I did not
fill the resivoir up before we left or it would have been much worse
as it would have had 40+ gal of water to dilute that tank with. ONly
loss and it was not really a loss, was a soggy carpet......and all the
corals and livestock came out ok. I shudder to think how much $$$ is
in that reef tank.
--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 17-03-2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.
Roy wrote:
[...]

Did you use a backup float switch? Or did the domino effect or murphy's law
make that idea (the backup float switch) worthless? I'm using backups on
mine.... Good luck and later!

Old 17-03-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Ideally, don't put the pump in the pond at all. Put it at the end of the
filter. See my website, click on my filter: www.jjspond.us ) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a