Old 31-12-2005, 02:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Pond design #9

Looking good. You might think about having the water enter at an angle to
create some vortex in the settlement tank. Will one barrel be enough for
3,000 gal.? The 2,900 gph will provide enough circulation and the bottom
filter will get the muck in the pond. How about bacterial surface? Any way
to have a veggie filter as well? The roots on plants work wonderfully as
bacterial surfaces.

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote in message
I have been getting a lot of suggestion at http://www.koiphen.com/ on my
pond design. I'm currently planning what is in the pictures below.

--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

Old 31-12-2005, 06:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
PoconoRobin

Thanks for your comments. The water will be entering at an angle to create
a vortex. I only have room for one settling barrel. No room for a veggie
filter---my 55 gallon biofilter will be half full with industrial floor
scrubber pads.
--
Robin
The Poconos, PA

news

Old 31-12-2005, 10:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

veggie filters dont have to be large area.. I fill mine with tall plants and need
very little space, altho it is looong... so the water speed drops the silt out.
Ingrid

"PoconoRobin" powlusr at ptd dot net wrote:

Thanks for your comments. The water will be entering at an angle to create
a vortex. I only have room for one settling barrel. No room for a veggie
filter---my 55 gallon biofilter will be half full with industrial floor
scrubber pads.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 01-01-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

Filters are important. You will need a lot for 3000 gallons plus fish.
They don't have to be at the pond. The pump will push the water 50 or 100
feet with no problems. My settling tank is 8 feet high and 3 feet in
diameter. I am sending a third less water to it than you will be.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.ponds
Wilmdale

Pat wrote:

Filters are important. You will need a lot for 3000 gallons plus fish.
They don't have to be at the pond. The pump will push the water 50 or 100
feet with no problems. My settling tank is 8 feet high and 3 feet in
diameter. I am sending a third less water to it than you will be.

Hi Pat...
Tell me (and show me if you can) more about your 8 feet high settling tanks.
Thanks!
W. Dale

Old 02-01-2006, 01:55 AM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

Picture here http://20d.us/Tank/
I just stepped outside my back door and snapped a quick picture for you.
I lied about the 8 feet. Appears to be more like 6 feet. A gavanized steel
tank
that has been laying around my place for a few years. It has been my
settling tank
for about 5 years. I cut the end off and stood it up. I have a bottom
drain I open
every so often to remove the sludge. I also use a poly tank about 5 feet
high at the
bottom of my hill. No picture as I would have to walk down the hill in the
dark and rain.
Every year I say that this is the year I will replace this steel tank with a
poly tank.
The water drops in the top. Overflows thru a side opening and enters a
small pond.
My backyard is a series of ponds stairstepped down a hill. This picture is
of the top.

Old 02-01-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.ponds
Pat

Depth increases the time between cleanings. The diameter gives the solids
more time to settle before the water leaves the tank.