Old 03-04-2003, 04:32 AM
Justin

Default A rec.pond Statistical Database?

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
In my experience over the past 9 months or so that I have hung out here, it
seems to me many of the questions asked get answers that begin with, "Well
it depends..." I got to thinking, the "Well it depends..." factor may be
manageable if we had an accurate dataset to compare.

I am willing/able to put together a database that we can use to compare
techniques, designs, water factors, etc. I'd be happy to manage it, share
it, maintain it, etc. What I would need from the group is...

Opinions on what we should track. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Sounds great BenignVanilla, in theory. I tried to do this nearly a
year ago with minimal success. People just do not want to make a
commitment to adding to the information. They will gladly post a
specific response via rec.ponds but most do not want the overwhelming
task of answering all 14 millions questions that need to be asked
concerning ponds. See what you can do but unless you offer incentive,
$, I really doubt too many people will offer a valiant effort. Plus,
there is always an issue with "standardizing" answers (making them
politically correct, factual, etc.).

Justin
Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Michael Shaffer

Are you gonna use PHP and MYSQL or something? Tell me if you need any
help I'm just getting into that stuff

Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Are you gonna use PHP and MYSQL or something? Tell me if you need any
help I'm just getting into that stuff

Actually, I think I am bailing...the overwhelming lack of support, *laugh*,
seems to be a bad omen.

BV.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 PM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
I'm setting youngest son to try and make a webpage for me tonight as his carrot
to finish his current book (500 pages a quarter for a dyslexic kid - hey, I
could write a blog about that!!)
I'll let you all know if it gets up and working.

k30a

--

would be nice to have uyour webpages back

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 03-04-2003, 05:56 PM
mad

¿Que es un 'blog'?
sounds like a foreign language to me!
mad
--
"Never kick a cow chip on a hot day."
Will Rogers

From: John Hines
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:46:30 -0600
Subject: A rec.pond Statistical Database?

Why don't you setup a blog, which seems to be the current trend?

Old 03-04-2003, 08:20 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
Are you gonna use PHP and MYSQL or something? Tell me if you need any
help I'm just getting into that stuff

Actually, I think I am bailing...the overwhelming lack of support, *laugh*,
seems to be a bad omen.

Again, it seems like overkill.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 PM
mad

thanks for the explanation, michael.
mad
--
The truly wise never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

From: "MLF"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:43:45 -0600

"Michael Shaffer" wrote:
What the heck is a blog? I keep seeing people refering to those.

It's short for "web log". It's a sort of diary containing mental
ramblings usually from a single person who egotistically thinks
anyone cares what he's thinking.

There are others that consist of contributions from various persons
on a particular topic. They are generally in a random order and
useful to the particpants, but not organized in any particular way.

Michael Fermanis
New Orleans, Louisiana USA (Remove the RICE to reply)