Old 02-04-2003, 05:08 PM
BenignVanilla

Default A rec.pond Statistical Database?

In my experience over the past 9 months or so that I have hung out here, it
seems to me many of the questions asked get answers that begin with, "Well
it depends..." I got to thinking, the "Well it depends..." factor may be
manageable if we had an accurate dataset to compare.

I am willing/able to put together a database that we can use to compare
techniques, designs, water factors, etc. I'd be happy to manage it, share
it, maintain it, etc. What I would need from the group is...

Opinions on what we should track. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Pon Owner
Location
Zone
Pond Volume
Pond Size
Pond Depth
Filter Type
Filter Size
Age of Pond
Pond Type
Wildlife in Pond

Any opinions? My thinking is, if someone in Zone 5 is having problems with
their goldfish pond, it may help them to know that there are three people
with a similar pond, in similar conditions.

--
BenignVanilla
tibetanbeefgarden.com

Remove MYFRONTALLOBE to email me.

Old 02-04-2003, 06:20 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Any opinions? My thinking is, if someone in Zone 5 is having problems with
their goldfish pond, it may help them to know that there are three people
with a similar pond, in similar conditions.

It would be a magnet for terrorist organizations, giving away the
strategic information on our most valuable assets.

Why don't you setup a blog, which seems to be the current trend?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:20 PM
John Rutz

BenignVanilla wrote:
[...]

--sounds good to me if you are willing

John Rutz
spring is here but its wheels are stuck in the snow
see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 02-04-2003, 07:20 PM
John Rutz

John Hines wrote:
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Any opinions? My thinking is, if someone in Zone 5 is having problems with
their goldfish pond, it may help them to know that there are three people
with a similar pond, in similar conditions.

It would be a magnet for terrorist organizations, giving away the
strategic information on our most valuable assets.

Why don't you setup a blog, which seems to be the current trend?

--
say huh what

Old 02-04-2003, 07:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Any opinions? My thinking is, if someone in Zone 5 is having problems

with
their goldfish pond, it may help them to know that there are three people
with a similar pond, in similar conditions.

It would be a magnet for terrorist organizations, giving away the
strategic information on our most valuable assets.

Why don't you setup a blog, which seems to be the current trend?

My thought on the database is that I could front it with a web site, that
would allow people to search, print, etc. So I could go in and search for
3000 gallon ponds, in zone 6, with 2 year old koi, and the water just turned
purple. What do I do? A blog would be less searchable, less chartable, IMHO.

BV.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

BenignVanilla wrote:

[...]

This may be a continuing project. Many of us keep changing
or adding on to our pond/ponds.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

Any opinions? My thinking is, if someone in Zone 5 is having problems

with
their goldfish pond, it may help them to know that there are three people
with a similar pond, in similar conditions.

It would be a magnet for terrorist organizations, giving away the
strategic information on our most valuable assets.

Why don't you setup a blog, which seems to be the current trend?

My thought on the database is that I could front it with a web site, that
would allow people to search, print, etc. So I could go in and search for
3000 gallon ponds, in zone 6, with 2 year old koi, and the water just turned
purple. What do I do? A blog would be less searchable, less chartable, IMHO.

And how are you going to keep it updated?

Those 2 yr old koi for example? 2.00000001 and counting. And what
happens when people lose interest and stop sending you updates?

And while my quip may have been meant in a humorous vien, it is
something that should be considered, given the $$ value of show koi.

Something more news orientated, since ponders tend to do a "see what
I've done" kind of thing, with a link (hopefully) back to the ponders
sight, or just a text description if not.

Why take the human element out?
Old 02-04-2003, 10:08 PM
BenignVanilla

"John Hines" wrote in message
snip
Those 2 yr old koi for example? 2.00000001 and counting. And what
happens when people lose interest and stop sending you updates?

snip

This is probably the key failure point, and as it seems only a person or two
is interested, I'll bail on the idea. I just thought it would be cool to be
have a searchable site of porgs and their ponds. *shrug*

BV.

Old 03-04-2003, 02:32 AM
zookeeper

I think this is a great idea, but maybe to keep it private to people w/
ponds or interested in ponds it should be a membership group, a site
that requires a password, or we could all have code names (*what an
original idea!!, she said sarcastically*). Yahoo Groups has some pretty
good setups for such a group; you could have an ongoing database there,
and you could also post picture albums and files to share, like about
potassium permanganate instructions, salt levels, etc., create a chat
area, post regional pond news (koi and pond clubs, conventions). With a
database set up there, each member can make changes to there information
as they make changes to and in their ponds; could probably include areas
for 1st pond, 2nd pond, 1st enlargement of 1st pond, etc.

I've belonged to some extremely private groups at Yahoo for years, and
have never had problems with spam or privacy issues. It would require a
site "owner" and some "moderators" (assistants), though. Just a thought.
--
Kathy B, zookeeper (OR)
3500gal pond

Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" m
wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Those 2 yr old koi for example? 2.00000001 and counting. And what
happens when people lose interest and stop sending you updates?

snip

This is probably the key failure point, and as it seems only a person or two
is interested, I'll bail on the idea. I just thought it would be cool to be
have a searchable site of porgs and their ponds. *shrug*

Take a look at www.chicagofishing.org at their chart of lakes.

A chart of pond sites, with a link to their pages, and chart of what
each offers. Koi, plants, pics, plans, etc. You could arrange by zone
maybe.

You could touch something, to flag a "updated" flag if/when they send
you notice of an update, for a period of time.

Old 03-04-2003, 03:08 AM
John Hines

Michael Shaffer wrote:

What the heck is a blog? I keep seeing people refering to those.

Web logs, usually that allow commentary.

One of the most famous personal ones http://www.wilwheaton.net/
or http://www.slashdot.org or http://www.fark.com

Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Bob H

Dude, when would you find the time...sounds like an enormous
undertaking....don't you have a pond to dig and fill....what are you gonna
do take your laptop into the backyard and dig with one hand input with the
other???? sounds like a great idea though.

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in
message ...

Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
K30a

I'm setting youngest son to try and make a webpage for me tonight as his carrot
to finish his current book (500 pages a quarter for a dyslexic kid - hey, I
could write a blog about that!!)
I'll let you all know if it gets up and working.

k30a