Old 03-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Pickmaster

Default Tail Regeneration on Koi

Hi folks, execellent group you have here, I check it now and then when I
have the time. I have some koi in a large pond, and several in a 125 gallon
aquarium. They were purchased last May and were about two inches long and
the ones in the tank are still about that size. The ones in the pond have
grown to almost a foot! The water was fairly murky and I went months not
knowing whether they were dead or alive (heron frequent the area in southern
Louisiana) but then one day my brother threw some fish food in the pond and
they came up. My question is this: one of the little fish in the tank was
attacked by something, either a small sunfish (about an inch long) or a
small crawfish. His tail was eaten off to the nub, but he swims fairly well
and eats and otherwise seems ok. Will that tail grow back to some extent or
will he have problems with it decaying or whatever? I hope in the near
future to build a little website as so many of you have done to post details
on how my pond came into creation, and its progress. Thanks! Marshall

Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Steve in 236

"Pickmaster" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If the fleshy part of the tail is undamaged, the tail shoud grow back fairly
quickly, and quite possibly to it's original size and shape. That is, of
course, unless the fin nipper is still at it.

Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 PM

more likely this is tail rot due to parasites. however, the tail will most likely
regrow. Ingrid