Old 06-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Harriett Wright

Default Goldfish wound

I think one of my goldfish must have been pecked by a heron or an egret a
couple of days ago--it has an ugly wound on its back. I can always tell when
a big bird has been terrorizing my fish, because they don't come to the top
glub-glubing for their breakfast. This happened two days in a row, and the
next day I noticed the injury. I hoped it would heal, but it looks worse
today and the fish is less lively. Is there anything I can do to treat it?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Harriett

Old 06-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Priscilla McCullough

You might want to take the fish out and give it a salt bath. If its bad and
you can you might want to take it indoors and put it in a aquarium until it
heals some.
Priss

Old 07-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Harriett Wright

Thanks to you and Priscilla for your advice. By treat it topically do you
mean with a salt bath? I have a ten gallon acquarium I can use (assuming I
can catch the patient--my fish are very leery of nets): do you happen to
know how .09 lbs converts to tablespoons or teaspoons? Is kosher salt OK or
should I buy some special kind of acquarium salt? Thanks for your help.
Harriett

wrote in message
If you dont have salt in the pond, put in up to 0.9lbs per 100 gallons.

but I would
net the fish and treat topically and also feed antibiotic food, like romet

B. Fish
with that kind of a wound do best to have a salt dip and treated indoors.

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...20from%20the%2
0pond
Ingrid

Old 07-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Priscilla McCullough

Yeah thats what it means. Plus it gives it some time alone from being picked
on by other fish.
I think one good size tablespoon would be good enough for a 10 gal tank.
You need to buy aquarium salt. Not table salt.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:56 AM
~ jan

Morton's Water Softener Salt (blue bag) 25 lbs for a few bucks. Make sure
it is ~ 99.9% pure, not system saver. . ~ jan

"Harriett Wright" wrote:
I think one of my goldfish must have been pecked by a heron or an egret

couple of days ago--it has an ugly wound on its back. I can always tell

when
a big bird has been terrorizing my fish, because they don't come to the

top
glub-glubing for their breakfast. This happened two days in a row, and

the
next day I noticed the injury. I hoped it would heal, but it looks

worse
today and the fish is less lively. Is there anything I can do to

treat
it?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Harriett

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 07-04-2003, 03:44 PM

http://users.megapathdsl.net/~solo/p...se/disease.htm
scroll down to topical treatment.
a 20 gallon rubbermaid bucket would be better. if it is single tail, net it. you
need to keep the water clean. look at the bucket to bucket treatment.
kosher salt is fine, 1-3 teaspoons per 5 gallons.
Ingrid

"Harriett Wright" wrote:

Thanks to you and Priscilla for your advice. By treat it topically do you
mean with a salt bath? I have a ten gallon acquarium I can use (assuming I
can catch the patient--my fish are very leery of nets): do you happen to
know how .09 lbs converts to tablespoons or teaspoons? Is kosher salt OK or
should I buy some special kind of acquarium salt? Thanks for your help.
Harriett

Tree Wound Question - Live Oak MostlyH2O Gardening 2 04-10-2015 05:44 PM
Old Apple Tree wound MG United Kingdom 6 28-02-2005 02:40 PM
Tree Wound Care Iris Cohen Plant Science 1 26-03-2004 09:08 PM
[IBC] wound sealers Harry L Abel Bonsai 1 06-05-2003 11:56 AM
[IBC] Wound Dressing (was Maple advice) Alan Walker Bonsai 0 06-05-2003 02:22 AM