Old 26-03-2006, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default To Compost or Not to Compost

thank you, thank you. and now we got pillows of moss growing around the waterfall.
is very nice. and the tall bunches of cyperus made it thru the winter in the
basement so spring is going to look better than in years past. Ingrid

Speaking of moss, my little ferny moss that grows in the stream did really
well over winter. I guess it needs just a little moisture to keep it alive.
Last year, where it didn't get hardly any moisture it died. I put more in
that area, and it is still green this spring. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 27-03-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

there is something about moss .... my DH loves the moss too, so he took a little
pinch and put it on the side of the pond where the water splashes and now there is a
nice little pillow of it there too. Ingrid

~ janj wrote:

thank you, thank you. and now we got pillows of moss growing around the waterfall.
is very nice. and the tall bunches of cyperus made it thru the winter in the
basement so spring is going to look better than in years past. Ingrid

Speaking of moss, my little ferny moss that grows in the stream did really
well over winter. I guess it needs just a little moisture to keep it alive.
Last year, where it didn't get hardly any moisture it died. I put more in
that area, and it is still green this spring. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 27-03-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
wrote:
there is something about moss .... my DH loves the moss too, so he took a little
pinch and put it on the side of the pond where the water splashes and now there is a
nice little pillow of it there too. Ingrid

Moss is my secret weopan. Any tank with moss has a hard time growing alage. I've
experiemented with all sorts of plants tryiong to keep betta jars cleanm longer
and noting works like moss. I suspect if you threw a garbage bag of the stuff
into a pond it owuld have a dramatic effect of water clarity. It sure works
that way in aquaria.

In Asis the moss that grows around ponds is the stuff we grow in fishtanks. It
even grows in lawns there.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 27-03-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Moss is my secret weopan. Any tank with moss has a hard time growing
alage. I've
experiemented with all sorts of plants tryiong to keep betta jars cleanm
longer
and noting works like moss. I suspect if you threw a garbage bag of the
stuff
into a pond it owuld have a dramatic effect of water clarity. It sure
works
that way in aquaria.

In Asis the moss that grows around ponds is the stuff we grow in
fishtanks. It
even grows in lawns there.

======================
Are you talking about what we call Java Moss? It grows here on rocks in the
woods, damp driftwood by the lake in water itself. I believe this is all
the same plant.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 28-03-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
Moss is my secret weopan. Any tank with moss has a hard time growing
alage. I've
experiemented with all sorts of plants tryiong to keep betta jars cleanm
longer
and noting works like moss. I suspect if you threw a garbage bag of the
stuff
into a pond it owuld have a dramatic effect of water clarity. It sure
works
that way in aquaria.

In Asis the moss that grows around ponds is the stuff we grow in
fishtanks. It
even grows in lawns there.

======================
Are you talking about what we call Java Moss? It grows here on rocks in the
woods, damp driftwood by the lake in water itself. I believe this is all
the same plant.

Nah, the stuff that grows in lawns and around ponds in Singapore is
"xmas moss". There's about 17 common aquatic mosses and while java moss
is the oldest kept in tanks and the most common, it's not the most common
one found in Singapore gardens. But any of them will work.

I have on tank four feet long with a three foot clump of this stuff
and if I'm lax about water changes and fertilizer then it grows alage
but only where moss isn't close. The tank is utterly stuffed with
plants.

I'm not suggesting moss inhibits alage but that it's a very efficient
consumer of nutrients, probably due to the massive surface area all those
zillions of tiny leaves have.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net

Old 28-03-2006, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I'm not suggesting moss inhibits alage but that it's a very efficient
consumer of nutrients, probably due to the massive surface area all those
zillions of tiny leaves have.

======================
Come to think of it,...it's the tanks with a good size ball of Java moss
that don't have any serious algae problems. I think I'll add a larger
amount to the tanks that did have a problem.

Old 29-03-2006, 06:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Sexton

In article ,
Koi-Lo wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
I'm not suggesting moss inhibits alage but that it's a very efficient
consumer of nutrients, probably due to the massive surface area all those
zillions of tiny leaves have.

======================
Come to think of it,...it's the tanks with a good size ball of Java moss
that don't have any serious algae problems. I think I'll add a larger
amount to the tanks that did have a problem.

Yupper. This is not to say if you have lots of moss you'll never get
alage, but based on experiemtns with betta bowls and various plants
you'd have to ignore them for about 3 months to grow alage and moss.

Any other plant, java fern, crypts, lucky bamboo, you get it in about
3 weeks of zero maintenance.

Plus java moss (or any other moss, xmas moss, taiwan moss, creeping,
weeping or what have you moss) plays host to countless protozoans
to the point where you can have, for example, a self sustaining
colony of half a dozen pairs of (small) killifish in a 20 gal tank,
with a tight fitting cover, and it will not require any food to be added.

I did this for two years and fish bred, came and went, with no food added.
The poor things died when I was away on a business trip because the light
timer failed - I came back to a crystal clear empty tank; when I left it
was packed with moss and fish.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net