Old 14-04-2006, 05:44 AM posted to rec.ponds
Doug

Default Brown Water

We have a pond that is supplied buy a spring here in south east Texas,
the water supply is not too dirty (with clay), but the run off from the
dirt road adjacent to the pond is of a red clay & sand mixture that
keeps the pond a reddish brown that never subsides.
Using chemicals would be ongoing & not realistic, visibility
is only about 2 inches or so & it has been a real disappointment .
The pond is about 60 foot by 25 foot & 4 foot deep.
We have a pump already in place that we could utilize to
filter the water, any suggestions on how to set up an adequate system
(we are mechanically inclined & could put something together ourselves
with some suggestions)
Thank you
Doug

Old 15-04-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

We have a pond that is supplied buy a spring here in south east Texas,
the water supply is not too dirty (with clay), but the run off from the
dirt road adjacent to the pond is of a red clay & sand mixture that
keeps the pond a reddish brown that never subsides.
Using chemicals would be ongoing & not realistic, visibility
is only about 2 inches or so & it has been a real disappointment .
The pond is about 60 foot by 25 foot & 4 foot deep.
We have a pump already in place that we could utilize to
filter the water, any suggestions on how to set up an adequate system
(we are mechanically inclined & could put something together ourselves
with some suggestions)
Thank you
Doug

Any possible way you can stop the run off? That would probably be my first
objective, if possible. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 15-04-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Gonna be a heap of trouble to even try and filter a mud bottom
pond....Do a bit of diverting of the water so it doe snot flow as
readily into the pond. Is there any grass in the area, if no, plant
some it helps. YOu can use rip rap or shallow channels filled with
gravel to divert water and trap sediement and suspended junk as well.
Even the muddiest of ponds will eventually settle out and become
relatively clear to some point (from a mud / dirt induced turbidity
anyhow) You can also add gravel to the main area water flows into the
pond which will help a great deal.

I have cleaned up ponds with turbidity from dirt etc by adding western
bentonite, braodcast over the surface. It acts like a floculant. I
have also used cotton seed meal to help clear up a muddy pond and it
works just fine. Cotton seed meal is dirt cheap so is sodium
bentonite...but foremost is diverting any water run off into the pond.

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....