Old 24-04-2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.ponds
David Sim

Default Dead Frogs

A friend of mine (local to me in Reading, Berkshire, UK) keeps finding a
number of dead frogs / toads in his pond - sometimes 6 or 7 every morning -
my first thoughts were that they could be drowning but he assures me he's
seen some come & go quite easily from the water (steep sided pond)

Any thoughts? are there any diseases prevalent at the moment?

Old 24-04-2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"David Sim" wrote in message
A friend of mine (local to me in Reading, Berkshire, UK) keeps finding a
number of dead frogs / toads in his pond - sometimes 6 or 7 every morning -
my first thoughts were that they could be drowning but he assures me he's
seen some come & go quite easily from the water (steep sided pond)

Any thoughts? are there any diseases prevalent at the moment?

===========
I'm not in the UK. You must have an agricultural dept. there that you can
call for information. They would be able to direct you to the proper people
to contact. It almost sounds like there's something toxic in the water. A
weedkiller perhaps?

He can try leaving a branch or small log at the edge for those who can't
make it to the top of the pond's edge.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-04-2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

"David Sim" wrote in message
A friend of mine (local to me in Reading, Berkshire, UK) keeps finding a
number of dead frogs / toads in his pond - sometimes 6 or 7 every morning -
my first thoughts were that they could be drowning but he assures me he's
seen some come & go quite easily from the water (steep sided pond)

Any thoughts? are there any diseases prevalent at the moment?

Every time we have heavy rains, I find a few newts and frogs that have drown
in the pool. Put a flat stone or two at the water's edge, see if that
assists in reducing the number of dead frogs.