Old 14-01-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Dead frogs in massachusetts pond

Hi,
we are experienceing some seriously unseasonbly warm weather here in
massshoudl hit 60 degress today). My pond went from being all ice
(exept for where the heater was) to all water overnight. I went out to
look at it this morning and found about 4 dead frogs. 2 floaters, twi
that I could see towards the bottom cause they were belly up. Any idea
what killed them? The fish are down there and seem ok. Could this
have sometihng to do with the crazy temp shift?

Old 14-01-2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
we are experienceing some seriously unseasonbly warm weather here in
massshoudl hit 60 degress today). My pond went from being all ice
(exept for where the heater was) to all water overnight. I went out to
look at it this morning and found about 4 dead frogs. 2 floaters, twi
that I could see towards the bottom cause they were belly up. Any idea
what killed them? The fish are down there and seem ok. Could this
have sometihng to do with the crazy temp shift?

===================================
I too found a dead frog in a plant propagation tank that recently thawed. I
think they suffocate under the ice or maybe the cold itself kills them. It
seems a few don't make it through the winters here in zone 6, even the
milder winters.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 14-01-2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.ponds

I didnt think most frogs could "make it" overwintering in a lined pond unless there
was lots of dirt on the bottom. Ingrid

wrote:

Hi,
we are experienceing some seriously unseasonbly warm weather here in
massshoudl hit 60 degress today). My pond went from being all ice
(exept for where the heater was) to all water overnight. I went out to
look at it this morning and found about 4 dead frogs. 2 floaters, twi
that I could see towards the bottom cause they were belly up. Any idea
what killed them? The fish are down there and seem ok. Could this
have sometihng to do with the crazy temp shift?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old 15-01-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article . com,
I'm sort of curious to find out, not really sure how to find out, if
maybe the oxygen level wasn't sufficient enough to keep them going in
their state of hibernation where as the fish were able to move around to
better water. If there wasn't water movement, might of caused a problem?

There's no water movement at the bottom of natural ponds either. I think
some frogs or newts are just not going to make it through the cold weather.
Almost every spring I find a dead frog, koi or newt in one of my ponds or
pools. Goldfish seem the toughest when it comes to cold water. I can't
remember when I found one dead in the spring.