Old 29-04-2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.ponds
tenacity

Default natural vs. chemical

So, it's a culture thing.

I live in Phoenix, AZ. So where most of y'all have to contend with
freezing winters, we have 110 degree summers.

What I've got:

homemade pond, rectangle, liner, half in and half above ground
two feet deep, 6x8 ft
700 gallons
anarchris and cambomba
two koi, two comets, one cichlid, some feeders, some minnows, guppies,
neon tetras, zebra danios - about 50 fish, most of them very small. The
cichlid's been thinning the ranks of the minnows, which is great.

I've had no problem with koi + plants. Has anyone else had sucess with
that combination?

Old 29-04-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Your chiclid may be or become a problem. How big and what kind for the
chiclid? Most of them are predators who would stalk and eat any small fish
they can get their mouth around...growth for chiclids usually means death
for small tropicals. My Oscars would thin out the small tropicals in a
moment.

Our koi view anacharis as a snack. We put it in from the berm ponds and it
is promptly munched.

Good luck

Jim

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net
oups.com...

Old 29-04-2006, 07:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

I've had no problem with koi + plants. Has anyone else had sucess with
that combination?

My first ponding year koi + anacharis no problem, anacharis out grew the
koi. But winter took care of that balance, and bigger koi the following
years, and I just gave up on anacharis w/koi. My koi still have lilies and
various stalk-type plants in the pond with them. ) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 29-04-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"tenacity" wrote in message
oups.com...
cichlid's been thinning the ranks of the minnows, which is great.

I've had no problem with koi + plants. Has anyone else had sucess with
that combination?

*Note: There are TWO "Koi-Lo's" on this NG*

My koi leave most of the big tall plants alone. These are water iris,
pickerel weed, cat tails and water plantain. I have them so close to the
surface they can't get in the pots to root out the soil and gravel. They
ignore the water lilies now that I have eggrock over the soil.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.