Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Theo van Daele

Default Substrate/Lave stones

Hi folks,

I've been an irregular customer here since 1999, not posted much, so my word
will not really mean much.

That said...

*Don't* put any substrate or lave stones into your pond when you have
fish/koi.

I cleaned out my pond today (digging a bigger one) and I was honestly
disgusted with the lava/poo mixture I found in there. Sure, I only had 3
pumps going 24/7 doing 30.000 litres an hour, but still... utterly
repulsive.

Nothing new, most koi sites seem to agree, but I've seen it with my own
nose... horrid smell, disgusting.

Just don't do it :-) A bottom drain might be wiser.

Theo

PS: pictures of pond extension will follow, for old shape, click
http://www.wide-o.net/pond2003/index.html

Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

Theo, I started off with a nice little 100 gal. preform, into the bottom of
which I poured 1" gravel to the 2" mark. Two months later, I installed my
1200 gal. pond. When I removed the rocks from the 100 gal., the smell was
enough to gag a maggot! And that was only after 2 months, with a lot of
plants and 3 little fish! Needless to say, the larger pond, and the tank I'm
building in the back yard, are rockless.

Rocks are fine for watergardens, but are NOT suited for places where there
are animals. The only way I can endorse a rock bottom would be if very large
rocks were used, and they were mortared to the bottom/sides. That would not
allow the accumulation of the gunk (as readily, at least). However, after a
few months, everything gets covered in algae anyway, and you can't see
them - so why bother?

Lee

Old 10-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Bill

"Lee Brouillet" wrote :

the smell was
enough to gag a maggot!

If you talk to the aquarium plants guys, they will tell you that
anaerobic decay in mulm is beneficial. The plants are supposed to eat it.

---

Old 10-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Lee Brouillet

And if you have a gazillion plants directly into the gravel, they probably
do! But pond plants are usually containerized, not directly planted. BIG
difference! And I've come across some pretty gross aquarium gravel, too!

Lee

"Bill" wrote in message
news

"Lee Brouillet" wrote :

the smell was
enough to gag a maggot!

If you talk to the aquarium plants guys, they will tell you that
anaerobic decay in mulm is beneficial. The plants are supposed to eat it.

---

OT/landscaping-stepping stones Wilson Gardening 1 25-04-2003 09:44 PM
Mortar mix for stones part underwater JohnB United Kingdom 0 20-04-2003 08:56 PM
Attaching Stones matt Ponds 1 19-04-2003 07:32 AM
Ammo Stones in filter RED1102 Ponds 1 17-04-2003 12:56 AM
[IBC] stones Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 04-04-2003 11:08 PM