Old 25-06-2006, 11:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Parker

Default Material Question

We are putting in a small pond with waterfall/stream. All the literature
that I have read recommends sealing stone in the stream with a foam. Every
foam product that I can find says to not use under water. What kind of foam
are they talking about.
Old 25-06-2006, 01:12 PM posted to rec.ponds
Cuttysark

Great Stuff expanding foaqm sold in all big box stores. It comes in a
amber colored foam . They also sell a black colored foam in the poind
sectn in some stores. Its the same thing just the color is diferent.
For strutural / insuation on a house etc it may not work prpoerly as
to its intended desgin, but for pond use in making water falls etc its
fine as used.

Old 25-06-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bill Stock

"Bill Parker" wrote in message
36...
We are putting in a small pond with waterfall/stream. All the literature
that I have read recommends sealing stone in the stream with a foam. Every
foam product that I can find says to not use under water. What kind of
foam
are they talking about.

As CuttySark indicated the "Waterfall foam" is the expanding yellow foam
sold at HD and other big box stores. I bought the yellow foam and covered
the exposed areas with sand/dirt while the foam was still wet. Much cheaper
than buying the black foam.

But in the end, this stuff does not work that well. It's meant to prevent
waterfall leaks by stopping backflow in a loosely constructed (like mine)
waterfall. The only real solution is to put liner under your waterfall. I
dug a small U shaped moat around my waterfall and covered the entire area
with liner. The liner covers the area under the rocks and extends past the
groove (moat) around the waterfall to catch any leaks. I filled the moat
with the same creek stone that covers the liner around my pond. You really
don't know the moat is there, unless you look very closely at the water
flowing into the pond beside the waterfall. Anyone bent over the pond to
look that closely, might just slip. You know, sleepin with the Fishes.
LOL.

Old 25-06-2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 25 Jun 2006 04:39:57 CST, Bill Parker wrote:

We are putting in a small pond with waterfall/stream. All the literature
that I have read recommends sealing stone in the stream with a foam. Every
foam product that I can find says to not use under water. What kind of foam
are they talking about.

Depending on your waterfall, rock used, flow rate, you may get away with
not using foam at all. I did. Black foam as mentioned, once dried is
non-toxic. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 26-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered User

Location: Belfast, N Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parker
We are putting in a small pond with waterfall/stream. All the literature
that I have read recommends sealing stone in the stream with a foam. Every
foam product that I can find says to not use under water. What kind of foam
are they talking about.
If your are in America have a look at I think "great stuff", if you are in the UK I would thick about mortaring them, mortar is portland cement and sand mixed and that can be discussed later if you are UK. If you are UK and I forget to check back or this thread gets lost, raise this question on the board fishcrazy

Old 26-06-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

Bill Parker wrote:
We are putting in a small pond with waterfall/stream. All the literature
that I have read recommends sealing stone in the stream with a foam. Every
foam product that I can find says to not use under water. What kind of foam
are they talking about.

I used Great Stuff and really regretted it. It makes a mess, never
comes off the rock and as far as I can tell, never worked worth a damn.
It is however what everyone uses. I agree with the other poster that
you really want a proper lining under your waterfall and good placement
of the rocks so that you just don't need it.