Old 13-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Nanceemo

Default new to group ... and ponds : )

Hi. I've been lurking and reading, and I have so many questions I'm wondering
.... would it be better to ask them individually, or just go full out. : )

Here's one to start. We inherited a pond when we bought this house. It's
really muddy in the bottom. We drained it and cleaned the rocks and filtered,
but it didn't make much difference. It's about 20' by 8', and has about 30
goldfish and two large Koi and a few small ones. I'm confused about separating
plants and fish. Why, please? We don't have many plants but want to add more
this year.
Old 13-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Claude Rogers

Welcome Aboard, Just throw'em out, should get all kind of answers, pick the
one you like.

1st answer: Generally, Koi, especially large ones like to dig or root in
plant pots or just turn them over and make a mess of the pond, although I
have a couple and have had no problems of such yet, but there only 8 inches
long to date, goldfish tend to be a little more plant friendly but that's
not always true either. There may be more reasons than this but this tends
to be the biggest issue. Uless it's pretty deep you may want to consider
thinning out the fish a bit or really increasing the number of plants. Good
luck...Claude

Claude's pond http://home.fuse.net/ace883/

Old 13-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Nanceemo wrote:
Hi. I've been lurking and reading, and I have so many questions I'm wondering
... would it be better to ask them individually, or just go full out. : )

Here's one to start. We inherited a pond when we bought this house. It's
really muddy in the bottom. We drained it and cleaned the rocks and filtered,
but it didn't make much difference. It's about 20' by 8', and has about 30
goldfish and two large Koi and a few small ones. I'm confused about separating
plants and fish. Why, please? We don't have many plants but want to add more
this year.

Hi,
I seperated my koi from the plants because the koi were
always tearing up the plants. Also, it's much easier to see
the fish with no plants. The goldfish don't seem to
bother the plants.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 14-04-2003, 12:08 AM
bern muller

Nanceemo wrote in message
Hi. I've been lurking and reading, and I have so many questions I'm

wondering
... would it be better to ask them individually, or just go full out. : )

Here's one to start. We inherited a pond when we bought this house. It's
really muddy in the bottom. We drained it and cleaned the rocks and

filtered,
but it didn't make much difference. It's about 20' by 8', and has about

30
goldfish and two large Koi and a few small ones. I'm confused about

separating
plants and fish. Why, please? We don't have many plants but want to add

more
this year.

We have about 2500 gallon pond. about 40 medium goldfish and 3 koi. half a
dozen hardy and tropical water lillies and various other plants. The koi
would like to dig in the pots, but we put coarse gravel on top of the soil
and that discourages the koi, who then seem to root in the leaves on the
bottom of the pond. We don't see the fish much, but when they do appear it
is always a pleasant surprise. The cover also protects the fish from
predators.

Old 14-04-2003, 02:32 PM
BenignVanilla

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
Hi. I've been lurking and reading, and I have so many questions I'm

wondering
... would it be better to ask them individually, or just go full out. : )

I suggest you break each question/topic into different posts. The following
threads will then be easier to follow, and you are more likely to get
educated responses, as people with knowledge will see the question in the
subject line and be more likely to answer.

My 2.

BV.

Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Nanceemo

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it, and I love looking at your ponds from
your links, too!

Old 15-04-2003, 04:08 AM
mad

you can also look at justin's rec.ponds FAQ (3rd URL in my sig below). there
is a wealth of info there.
mad
--
See my zone 8B pond: