Old 30-07-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Water Lilly flowers

Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a day or
so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and pulls it under
water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What causes this? and how
can I stop it?
Thanks
Drew

Old 30-07-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Drew Lovasi" wrote in message
news
Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a day
or so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and pulls it
under water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What causes this?
and how can I stop it?

======================
That's normal for the hardy water lilies. Mine do the same thing.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.ponds

Köi-Lö wrote:
"Drew Lovasi" wrote in message
news
Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a
day or so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and
pulls it under water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What
causes this? and how can I stop it?

======================
That's normal for the hardy water lilies. Mine do the same thing.

Same concern here. Will they rot at the bottom of the pond?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 31-07-2006, 06:43 AM posted to rec.ponds

"BoyPete" wrote in message
Köi-Lö wrote:
"Drew Lovasi" wrote in message
news
Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a
day or so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and
pulls it under water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What
causes this? and how can I stop it?

======================
That's normal for the hardy water lilies. Mine do the same thing.

Same concern here. Will they rot at the bottom of the pond?
--
ßôyþëtë

========================
Yes, the flower, now pollinated, with rot under the water releasing the
seeds from the seed pod when they're ripe. I've never found baby lilies in
my ponds though.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 31-07-2006, 07:08 AM posted to rec.ponds

Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a day or
so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and pulls it under
water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What causes this? and how
can I stop it?
Thanks
Drew

That's normal. Usual life span is 3 days. Trim the stem close to the crown
to get more blooms... other wise they will rot or the plant may put energy
into setting (worthless) seed. ~ jan www.jjspond.us
-----------------

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Old 31-07-2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

BoyPete wrote:

Köi-Lö wrote:
"Drew Lovasi" wrote in message
news
Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about a
day or so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring, and
pulls it under water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up. What
causes this? and how can I stop it?

======================
That's normal for the hardy water lilies. Mine do the same thing.

They've been fertilized, and now need to be submerged again for the seeds to
develop.

Same concern here. Will they rot at the bottom of the pond?

Of course. Regardless of whether your pond is actually capable of handling
that extra decaying biomass, it's a good idea to deadhead the lily if you
want more blooms.
--
derek
Old 31-07-2006, 08:54 PM posted to rec.ponds

Derek Broughton wrote:
BoyPete wrote:

Köi-Lö wrote:
"Drew Lovasi" wrote in message
news Hello all, the flowers on my lilly are acting weird. After about
a day or so on the surface the stem starts to coil, like a spring,
and pulls it under water. It doesn't seem to ever come back up.
What causes this? and how can I stop it?
======================
That's normal for the hardy water lilies. Mine do the same thing.

They've been fertilized, and now need to be submerged again for the
seeds to develop.

Same concern here. Will they rot at the bottom of the pond?

Of course. Regardless of whether your pond is actually capable of
handling that extra decaying biomass, it's a good idea to deadhead
the lily if you want more blooms.

Just the head, or from the bottom of the stem?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds

BoyPete wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
Regardless of whether your pond is actually capable of
handling that extra decaying biomass, it's a good idea to deadhead
the lily if you want more blooms.

Just the head, or from the bottom of the stem?

hmmm. I always read that it should be done as close as possible to the base
of the stem - but I'm not certain that's actually necessary.
--
derek
Old 01-08-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
BoyPete wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
Regardless of whether your pond is actually capable of
handling that extra decaying biomass, it's a good idea to deadhead
the lily if you want more blooms.

Just the head, or from the bottom of the stem?

hmmm. I always read that it should be done as close as possible to the
base
of the stem - but I'm not certain that's actually necessary.
--
derek

=====================
I would remove the entire stem as I saw it as less organic matter to decay
and feed the algae.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:55 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:05:03 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
hmmm. I always read that it should be done as close as possible to the base
of the stem - but I'm not certain that's actually necessary.

If the goal is to remove something that is going to rot, I would think it
necessary. Tis, imo, anyway. ;-) ~ jan