Old 11-10-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Winterizing

I live in Northeast Ohio and just purchased a houe this summer with a
small pond. It's about 120 gallons, and was a mess when I first saw it.
It had nothing done to if for 2 years and was full of sludge and no
real "life". I nursed it back to health and it is stocked with a couple
of goldfish, two small Koi, lots of water lettuce, small floating
plants, some "grass", and I plant that I think is a Canna.

My aquatic experince is limited to mostly sal****er / reef tanks, and
no experience in ponds, especailly in winter in Ohio!

I'm preparing the pond for winter. The filters have been cleaned
(external basic wet to dry setup). I plan taking the UV sterilizer off
for the season. The leaves / acorns all almost gone and the pond is
netted. I purchased a floating heater to maintian an area for CO2 / O2
exchange and plan on running the filter during the winter (output will
be channeld back into the pond via tubing).

Questions:
Is it OK to run the filter during the freeze?
Should I "cut back" the plants (right now they are very high and the
netting is just covering them)?
Should I revome the floating plants, or will they survive and regrow in
the spring?

Anything else i should be thinking about?

I plan on doing a major upscaling of the pond in the sping, but I
really don't want to lose anything that I have int here now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-10-2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.ponds

"clevfunguy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Northeast Ohio and just purchased a houe this summer with a
small pond. It's about 120 gallons, and was a mess when I first saw it.
It had nothing done to if for 2 years and was full of sludge and no
real "life". I nursed it back to health and it is stocked with a couple
of goldfish, two small Koi, lots of water lettuce, small floating
plants, some "grass", and I plant that I think is a Canna.

I hope you are aware that koi grow up to 3' long (that's THREE FEET LONG)
and need quite a large pond to live in. Each koi will require 300 to 400
gallons of good filtered water by the time it's a few years old, maybe
sooner. You may want to return them or trade them for goldfish which only
get one foot long. Healthy fish grow quickly.

My aquatic experince is limited to mostly sal****er / reef tanks, and
no experience in ponds, especailly in winter in Ohio!

I'm preparing the pond for winter. The filters have been cleaned
(external basic wet to dry setup). I plan taking the UV sterilizer off
for the season. The leaves / acorns all almost gone and the pond is
netted. I purchased a floating heater to maintian an area for CO2 / O2
exchange and plan on running the filter during the winter (output will
be channeld back into the pond via tubing).

I hope it's running very slowly so as not to disrupt the stratification of
the water. There are slews of websites giving some good advice on
ovewintering ponds.

Questions:
Is it OK to run the filter during the freeze?

I would shut the filters off when the water reaches 50F. All I leave
running are airstones or small water pumps near the surface. When the fish
stop eating and the bacteria are dormant from the cold - why run the filter?

Should I "cut back" the plants (right now they are very high and the
netting is just covering them)?
Should I revome the floating plants, or will they survive and regrow in
the spring?

Both water hyacinth and water lettuce will not survive the winter. Remove
and compost them. Trim tops off after the first good frost.

Anything else i should be thinking about?

I plan on doing a major upscaling of the pond in the sping, but I
really don't want to lose anything that I have int here now.

Your pond is much too small for koi. :-(

--

KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds

On 10 Oct 2006 18:12:44 -0700, "clevfunguy" wrote:

Questions:
Is it OK to run the filter during the freeze?

Since you're also running a stock heater, running filter okay... and a very
good idea as it will help filter start-up in spring happen faster. The only
concern is if the fish have no quiet area to rest if flow is too fast
causing a current they have to swim against all winter.

Should I "cut back" the plants (right now they are very high and the
netting is just covering them)?

Cut them above the highest water line after frost knocks them down. If
canna is not hardy it should be brought into a dark cool spot inside after
frost.

Should I revome the floating plants, or will they survive and regrow in
the spring?

Remove, they'll die and rot in the pond. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 01-11-2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.ponds

Well I just have an upside down floating bucket with a 40watt light
bulb to keep a hole open for ice. I tried to run a pump with an
external filter. It didn't last long after the water started to
freeze. Good luck.

Keith

Winterizing John Ferman Ponds 2 23-11-2003 10:25 PM
winterizing lawn - HA HA Budys Here Gardening 1 18-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing advice for novices Jerome Gardening 2 02-10-2003 05:02 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Winterizing Gas Lawnmower? Brigitte J. Lawns 12 06-01-2003 08:05 PM