Old 03-11-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Pond - Heat pump

I have a relatively small pond of 2000L or 550 UsG, and one the problems
I have is fairly large swings in temperature. I was considering using
the heat of the ground to moderate long and short term temperature
fluctuations by burying a pipe 3 feet or so underground round my garden,
and pumping the pond water through.
The idea came from methods for heating and cooling houses by a similar
method. I've tried a few web searches but not found anything relevant
yet. Has anyone come across such a scheme?

Peter
Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds

Peter Breed wrote:

I have a relatively small pond of 2000L or 550 UsG, and one the problems
I have is fairly large swings in temperature. I was considering using
the heat of the ground to moderate long and short term temperature
fluctuations by burying a pipe 3 feet or so underground round my garden,
and pumping the pond water through.
The idea came from methods for heating and cooling houses by a similar
method. I've tried a few web searches but not found anything relevant
yet. Has anyone come across such a scheme?

I've never heard of anyone doing it for a pond, but the concept is sound.
--
derek
Old 03-11-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.ponds

I'm aware of heat pumps which use the earth as a heat sink, usually
via a burried pipe. Your scheme should work, but will be less
effective due to entropy.

My BIG question is "Why? Are the fish dying due to temperature
changes? Fish are cold blooded creatures (just like politicians) and
the water itself should be providing a sufficient buffer against too
rapid temperature changes.

PlainBill

Old 03-11-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.ponds

Peter Breed wrote:
I have a relatively small pond of 2000L or 550 UsG, and one the
problems I have is fairly large swings in temperature. I was
considering using the heat of the ground to moderate long and short
term temperature fluctuations by burying a pipe 3 feet or so
underground round my garden, and pumping the pond water through.
The idea came from methods for heating and cooling houses by a similar
method. I've tried a few web searches but not found anything relevant
yet. Has anyone come across such a scheme?

Peter

Do you have a decent size compost heap? If so, run copper pipe underground
from pond to the heap. Bury the spiral pipe from a hot water tank in the
heap, and circulate the water through it. Just a thought
--
ßôyþëtë

Natural solar heat gain v controlled heat gain? keith kent Orchids 3 27-11-2007 05:56 PM
Pump and Heat questions for FL above ground V.V. Ponds (alternative) 6 21-07-2005 12:26 PM
Pump and Heat questions for FL above ground V.V. Ponds 3 13-07-2005 10:15 PM
Use indoor heat on Pond MC Ponds 13 07-04-2004 03:34 AM
heat stroke and heat exhaustion [email protected] Ponds 29 31-05-2003 03:56 AM