Old 30-11-2006, 10:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default My 2 cents and a little pond stuff

First, one must remember that a posting (to whatever newsgroup) is not
something to be engraved in stone. Oh yeah, I know that people like Google
(and others) keep archives and that some folks actually store years and
years worth of stuff from their favorite newsgroups, but it isn't really
like being published or anything.

B. Missing posts. If you wrote the post you probably have a copy, and it
shouldn't be a whole lot of problem to re-post the copy if you don't see
your post in a few days. If you don't have a copy (or just can't remember
what you said), well, as my dear departed mother used to say: "That'll
teach you."

III. Advice you get on a newsgroup may not always be good advice. Some
people may actually be stunned by this, but there are actual, recorded
instances of replies being sarcastic, in poor taste, or just plain wrong.

4. None of the above will be addressed at all in a moderated newsgroup.

I've been around Usenet for a few years, though I've never been a moderator
or anything. The closest I've been to that was when I used to manage the
email list for hang gliders. I'd generally forward a message from one
person to everybody on the list, but some folks wanted it in "digest" form,
or one email with a whole bunch of messages inside. So we did it that way
too. Most of the heavy lifting was done by the folks at UVa's Academic
Computing Center, but every now and then I'd have to weed out some of the
messages. Mostly stuff like "I don't want to be on this list anymore,"
never any real spam.

Anyhow, I digress. Over the years I've come to know some folks in other
newsgroups, not in real life, I don't even know where a lot of them live,
but I see the names and have seen these folks post over the years, some of
them I've "chatted" with in email. Personally, I don't know much about
Usenet (and what I do know is related to the days when we had steam-powered
terminals), but I know some folks who do know. They seem to think this
whole "george" thing sounds pretty legit. If I have things correct, we
wait until something gets posted in news.groups.proposals and then we yap
our silly heads off about it there. I've subscribed to
news.groups.proposals and I know I'm waiting for the posting with virtual
ants in my pants.

Now for the promised pond stuff. We don't freeze real hard here in
northern Florida (I'm right near where I-10 and I-75 cross), so I don't do
anything for the pond. I don't have any fish or neat plants in it either,
so I guess it wouldn't matter if the pond did freeze, which it doesn't. It
freezes here, just not for very long and not very often. I went to grade
school and junior high in San Antonio, and although I know we're north of
there by latitude, it actually seems warmer here.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head
Old 30-11-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
Now for the promised pond stuff. We don't freeze real hard here in
northern Florida (I'm right near where I-10 and I-75 cross), so I don't do
anything for the pond. I don't have any fish or neat plants in it either,
so I guess it wouldn't matter if the pond did freeze, which it doesn't.
It
freezes here, just not for very long and not very often. I went to grade
school and junior high in San Antonio, and although I know we're north of
there by latitude, it actually seems warmer here.

We get some hard freezes here and sometimes the ponds get a covering of ice.
I leave either an aerator running a bit under the surface or a small water
pump to keep an opening in the ice. Both the GF and koi do well through the
winter. If anything fails to make it, it's usually the small thin young
fish and an occasional frog.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.