Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Bogus RFD rec.pond.moderated

"Zëbulon" wrote in message
.. .

"Thomas Lee" wrote in message
In message , Jayne
Kulikauskas writes
She will be very welcome to post within charter on the proposed group.

I can't help but wonder if anyone with an "opposing view" will be welcome
on a moderated group should it be created.

I think you're missing an important point. You appear
to assume that all moderators will think alike about
everything. Nothing could be further from the truth. I
don't agree with Jan or Snooze or Derek or Tristan or
Jim or Gill or you or (fill in the blank) about everything,
and they certainly don't agree with me about everything.
Anyone can check our posting history to see that.

Already I'm seeing things I've said
being taken the wrong way.

Welcome to USENET. And you're no newbie!
You should know that there's always room for
misinterpretation and disagreement in human
communcation, whether it's face to face or in more
limited contexts, like this one.

Things I've said have been taken the wrong way
plenty of times, including by people who have no
beef with me.

Is this to discourage me from posting at all?

*WHO* do you think is trying to discourage you
from posting!!?? Jan? Derek? Me? Jim? Who??
And why should it matter? If RPM flies, the
moderation policy will be based on content, not
posting history. As we have all said hundreds of times.

My words are being turned into words I never said, given meaning I didn't
mean.

Welcome to USENET ... whoops, already said that.

It's almost like (?) only a few select people on rec.ponds are
allowed to express an opinion without what they say being used against
them in some way.

You haven't noticed I've been attacked here for
speaking up in favor of a moderated group? You're
not the only one being attacked. So has Jan. So has
Gill. So has Derek. Etc. Etc. And what is our crime?
Speaking out in favor of rec.ponds.moderated;
expressing opinions about how a new group should
function. Reasonable opinions, I will add.

I can see why so few regulars dare speak up about how they
feel about a moderated group.

"so few regulars"?? Most of the regulars I've known
in rec.ponds have not only spoken up here but are in
process of doing the real work of trying to set up a
moderated group. Or they're here getting involved in
the discussion, even though it opens them up to attack.

Then I'm told to ignore and not reply to the
trolls and the very people who told me that are replying to them every
day.

It's good advice. The only reason - let me repeat
that - THE ONLY REASON I've engaged some of
the people I've engaged recently on rec.ponds is
because I believe strongly that creating
rec.ponds.moderated is the way to go. I'm
interested in the process, I'm involved in the process,
and I think I have an obligation to participate in the
process publicly, as I have been, despite that it
leaves me open to unfair attacks.

Trust me when I tell you that some of the people I've
responded to in the past several weeks I would have
totally ignored, even killfiled, if the discussion at hand
weren't about creating a new group.

Therefore, unless there is a good reason to respond
to trolls, or trollish posts, you shouldn't. Of if you
respond, try to stay focussed on the topic at hand,
not past ills. If you take my advice as suggesting you
should stop posting, you're just not reading what
I've written.

Assuming the group is created you mean. Personally, I'm not convinced
yet.

I can see no reason it wouldn't be created.
--
ZB....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Gail