Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Carl Beyer

Default First Koi pond advice

I recently finished my first (only) koi pond. I did it all on my own,
with input primarily from books. I feel it is about a 450 gallon setup
(9'X4'X2'deep (x7.5) minus shelves) It has a Beckett 1600 pump for the
fall, as well as a Beckett BF700 Biofilter (it outputs up at the fall as
well). The Biofilter is running 24/7 and the Big pump runs 8A to 10P.

It is currently stocked with half a dozen gold fish and 2 koi. One 5"
gold butterfly and a 15" something or other. Both were a score (didn't
pay any were near what they were worth - read under $150).

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

These are some pictures of the site.

I started getting some green algae, and the local garden store (Los
Angeles area) recommended putting in a barley bale (pellets in a mesh
bag). Well, now my water is a lovely tea color. I have decided to
install a 15 watt Aqua UV light attached to the 24 hour (beckett 350
btw) pump and remove the barley..

So, a few questions

What would you change / add in this setup?

Do I need to completely drain the pond and refill or will the barley tea
color disappear in a while.

How often do you have to do a water change? Partial and full?

Anyone recommend some good books on this whole process that are steeped
in advice. One koi book I looked at had tons of scientific data, but
not much practical and easy to read.

Anyway, I am sure it is the start of a number of questions, thanks to
all in advance.

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com